diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Lessons learned on buying vs making gear

I've been spending time in the woods now for about a decade. Over this time I've learned a few things about making gear vs buying quality (read, HF recommended) gear.

In my college days, I made silnylon tarps, a hammock, countless stuff sacks, wood burning stoves, alcohol stoves, and even a replica Clark vertex 2 person hammock. After all of that my skills still don't compare to the professionals. And that's the issue..

I go camping to enjoy the outdoors, slow down, and escape the concerns of everyday life. With most of my homemade gear I'll spend more time tinkering with it than really doing what I came out to do, enjoy creation. This wouldn't be just quite right or that would need continuous adjustment. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy tinkering...usually...when the weather's nice...and I'm not on a schedule. More than that though I appreciate the craftsmanship of a well made tool or item.

Now that I'm in a different stage of life with some disposable income, I'm beginning to learn that professionals are in business because they are well, professionals. They can produce what I can't, and more than that, they do it faster and better.

So if you're an avid diyer, awesome. Teach me in your ways. But because I have less time and more money now, I so appreciate the quality of gear on the market. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from making their own gear either. I still use a sil tarp I made about 5 years ago. My advice would just be to know what you can make and know what you should just buy if you can afford it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Completely agree. Making suspensions and such, i happily do myself. Made a DIY silnylon tarp (not too bad) just to do it, but quality-wise it doesnt compare to a professionally made job. I have come to the conclusion that i would rather pay someone to make a quality item (UQ, WB BBXLC, WB Superfly) because i know that any saving i made by DIYing it would be lost in the overall quality.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Years ago the bride and I used to make down vests and assorted stuff for our outdoor adventures. They always looked like an amateur (me) made them and never really fit right. Some are artists and craftsmen, some (me) are not...so

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel
    Guys you are killing me! I am in my late twenties (no disposable income) and looking to make my 1st Tarp. Any tips or tricks from guys who have already made one?
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Commit the DIY forum to memory. Your problems will be solved.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by HanginTom View Post
    My advice would just be to know what you can make and know what you should just buy if you can afford it.
    And that's why I'll soon be pulling the trigger on a Dutchware argon hammock since he can make it SO much better than I could. Alcohol stoves, on the other hand, I'll keep pumping out until my wife screams at me to stop covering up the table with 'em. Nice thought-starter of a post, sir.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree with you wholeheartedly… I made a lot of my own gear in the beginning but now I buy almost everything I use. I still futz and tdink with that a lot is I enjoy that but once I get in the woods and said I'm good to go.
    I too appreciate the professionals.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    A well made piece of equipment is a fantastic piece. The same piece made by me would be great. I do MYOG what I can, but, will buy what I cannot. Still hope to win lotto to be able to buy great gear from our cottage vendors.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBadger View Post
    Guys you are killing me! I am in my late twenties (no disposable income) and looking to make my 1st Tarp. Any tips or tricks from guys who have already made one?
    take your time, practice on (s)crap cloth before you ruin good silnylon

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I really enjoy MYOG and im ok with it if it has minor imperfections. Each piece of gear i make, i get better at it. Not to mention new ideas are sometimes born. The more people out there making gear the better our gear gets from invention. But ill admit that even i plan to buy some gear rather than make it. I have made 2 down TQs and 2 UQs but my next quilt will be vendor made. Just dont have the time and desire to make Quilts anymore. Gotten myself hooked on making backpacks now.
    For those out there that are thinking about taking the plunge into MYOG, don't let threads like this dissuade you. You should really give it a try and see if you enjoy it. I have had the best time making gear and using it on the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast