Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I own both 40* and 20* HG Incubators. I really only need the 20* in the Winter months. The 40* takes me down into the low 30's. It is notably smaller when packed. Unless you were planning to camp well below freezing I'd suggest a 40* Incubator. Use the savings to buy an underquilt protector. For your location, a 40* Incubator an UQ protector should keep you comfortable over a pretty wide range.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I own a 40* and 20* Phoenix, and a 0* Incubator. I take the 20* Phoenix the vast majority of the time. If the overnight lows are under 45 and above 20, I'm bringing the 20* Phoenix.

Given where you live, the 40* UQ may be fine if you don't do much cold weather camping. However, the 20* Phoenix has served me well in overnight lows from 70* F down to 13* F. If you have the slightest inclination to camp in temps below 50*, I'd say the 20* UQ is the best bet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    I live in South Texas and even on the coldest winter nights in the hill country here it rarely drops into the 20s, and is generally significantly warmer.
    humer91,

I am fairly unfamiliar with Texas. I visited one time, for less than one week, in August. That was nearly 30 years ago but, I still remember it as Hell w/humidity. I don't know how people survive the summer in Texas. Where is "hill country"? Is the climate there significantly different from the rest of South Texas? My impression of South Texas is that it snows once a decade and you need a jacket 3 days a year. We send our weak and frail to South Texas for the winter after all.

Nothing wrong with buying a 20* UQ, with proper venting you can make it work and I do believe that in your climate you will be manipulating your quilt to stay cool more than to stay warm. However, it seems there would be little benefit for the extra cost and weight of a 20* UQ over a 40* if Texas is how I envision it.

Perhaps you should repost this question as a solicitation for input from Texas Hangers...that is if any survived the August heat.

Good Luck

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have the 20° +1oz and 40° +2oz. The 40 gets me down to the low 30s, but if it's going to be that low I might as well play it safe and take the 20. I've taken the 20° down to almost 0° without any problems as well.

So if you're generally talking 40-50° for a low, I would go with the 40°. If low 30s are common, maybe get the 20°.

Warmer lows would be my concern. If you see lows generally 50°+ on 90% of your trips, definitely go 40°.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    While your summers are a bit hotter than here in FL, we get similar winters. I've found that a 20* partial-length UQ works really well from 20* to 50* for me (I'm an enormously warm sleeper; generally speaking, temp ratings come in 10* to 15* warmer than what I actually need). Above 50*, an undercover with a crumpled-up space blanket stuffed into it does me just fine (for most folks, I'd recommend this above ~55-65*, depending on how cold they sleep).

This way, I get the best of both worlds: when it's rainy (which is above ~50* here in FL, almost never below), I get the extra protection of my undercover (which doubles as my poncho) from blowing rain, allowing me to run with a tiny asym tarp; and when it's cold and dry, I get to have a nice place to put my shoes and "coffee" materials for the morning (on top of my undercover, on the ground under the hammock), allowing me to avoid getting out of my cozy cocoon before I've warmed up the whole way. It also keeps me from spending on a 40* underquilt, when that's only going to be needed for a ~10* temp range anyway (which is the margin of error for the forecast a lot of places down here; I've seen up to a 20* difference in Ocala from the forecasted lows).

Just my opinion, though. YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    humer91,

I am fairly unfamiliar with Texas. I visited one time, for less than one week, in August. That was nearly 30 years ago but, I still remember it as Hell w/humidity. I don't know how people survive the summer in Texas. Where is "hill country"? Is the climate there significantly different from the rest of South Texas? My impression of South Texas is that it snows once a decade and you need a jacket 3 days a year. We send our weak and frail to South Texas for the winter after all.

Nothing wrong with buying a 20* UQ, with proper venting you can make it work and I do believe that in your climate you will be manipulating your quilt to stay cool more than to stay warm. However, it seems there would be little benefit for the extra cost and weight of a 20* UQ over a 40* if Texas is how I envision it.

Perhaps you should repost this question as a solicitation for input from Texas Hangers...that is if any survived the August heat.

Good Luck
    South of San Antonio is "South Texas", so hot and barren the biggest threat to illegals coming from Mexico is death by dehydration (unfortunately quite a few die from lack of water). North of San Antonio and up to Austin is the "Hill Country" , rolling hills, rivers, lakes, and great camping. Humidity isn't too bad here, nowhere near as bad as it is on the coast...
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    .. Humidity isn't too bad here, nowhere near as bad as it is on the coast...
    That makes sense. My visit was to Houston - Galveston area.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK---

Some input from Texas.

I live in the Houston area, so conditions are about the same as they are round where you are. I normally hike/camp on the LSHT and in East or Central Texas, and occasionally in North Texas. I've only actually ever needed a 20 degree quilt once in the past 3 years---and that was in my backyard on my first hang. I do just fine with a synthetic quilt that's rated for 30 degrees. If the temps are forecast to go lower than that, I just postpone my trip for a week or so cuz you know as well as I do that temps will be around 60 three days after they're around 20.

I use synthetic b/c of the humidity of the coast, less of an issue out there and down south, but I still recommend synthetics for the Gulf Coast, especially if all you need is 30 degrees as the cost difference can be significant versus down. Now, if you plan on doing much winter camping way out West Texas, far North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, I'd go with a 20 degree quilt. I don't because the "postpone until its warmer" thing works for me up there for the most part, too---but they do have more days when the temps are going to go that low and you might not have those options.

There are times I will carry a USGI poncho liner to "boost" my 30 degree quilt (click on the Underwoobie link in my signature). I just lay it on top of my UQ between it and the hammock and wear insulated undies.

YMMV

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    OK---

Some input from Texas.

I live in the Houston area, so conditions are about the same as they are round where you are. I normally hike/camp on the LSHT and in East or Central Texas, and occasionally in North Texas. I've only actually ever needed a 20 degree quilt once in the past 3 years---and that was in my backyard on my first hang. I do just fine with a synthetic quilt that's rated for 30 degrees. If the temps are forecast to go lower than that, I just postpone my trip for a week or so cuz you know as well as I do that temps will be around 60 three days after they're around 20.

I use synthetic b/c of the humidity of the coast, less of an issue out there and down south, but I still recommend synthetics for the Gulf Coast, especially if all you need is 30 degrees as the cost difference can be significant versus down. Now, if you plan on doing much winter camping way out West Texas, far North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, I'd go with a 20 degree quilt. I don't because the "postpone until its warmer" thing works for me up there for the most part, too---but they do have more days when the temps are going to go that low and you might not have those options.

There are times I will carry a USGI poncho liner to "boost" my 30 degree quilt (click on the Underwoobie link in my signature). I just lay it on top of my UQ between it and the hammock and wear insulated undies.

YMMV
    Yeah, i think i am gonna go with the 40, add an UQP, and layer as needed on the rare truly cold occasions.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks much.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images

upcoming purchase, advice appreciated..

I live in San Antonio, so I understand what you're going through. I would suggest getting the 20 degree UQ. It's a lot easier to cool off in the low 40's with an warm UQ than have to improvise or bug out when it hits below 30 and the wind picks up. You'll avoid needing a pair of UQs for what amounts to 3 months out of the year.

That said, the Sarge's recommendation of a 30 degree synthetic would be the ideal choice for a majority of Texas camping. I also went synth because of the humidity.
    Last edited by anvil440; 09-24-2014 at 21:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast