Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW

Redneck UQ Options?

Hello all. I just ordered my first hammock a couple days ago, and it's supposed to get here tomorrow. I rigged up a tiny hammock from stuff I had on hand on a recent camping trip, and my youngest son (6) loved it. He has autism, and he was becoming restless and hard to manage in the campground. The makeshift hammock calmed him right down. Then when we got back from our trip, the Grand Trunk Ultralight was so inexpensive, I couldn't resist. Here's the thing though, when it gets here, I'm going to be anxious to try it out right away, and the nights here have suddenly dipped into the high 50s, and I sleep cold. Plus, I'm on a very tight budget. So, I was hoping to get ideas on what would make a half decent redneck underquilt. Maybe encase the entire hammock, in a sleeping bag? I have two of those cheap rectangular bags that zip together, so they'd probably be big enough, but I'm not sure it'd be warm enough. I think they were 40f bags, but I was never comfortable in them below about 60 without extra clothes. What about one of those foam mattress toppers, has anyone tried that? It seems like those might be pretty warm. Also, I've heard of people using reflectix or car windshield shades in the hammock, but has anyone tried using it under the hammock?

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Experimentation is your friend...bottom line.
    Since your budget is tight use the knowledge of the forum to formulate a plan of attack and experiment thoroughly.
    Getting a sleeping bag to conform to the hammock for a snug fit will be your biggest challenge and with a pad should redneck it for now.
    Meantime save your cash seriously for a treated down 20* UQ from any of the vendors...worth every penny.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-an-underquilt
    Last edited by bkrgi; 09-24-2014 at 17:51.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    you can always male a DIY underquilt with a military poncho liner, they can easily be had for $20 or so
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Even though I have multiple down UQs, 2 poncho liner UQs my son still prefers to use the sleeping bag method. Run the hammock through the sleeping bag and use a light weight fleece bag inside the hammock. He has done this for over two years. So if you already have the sleeping bags you're set. Maybe down the road you can switch to a fancier albeit more costly setup. But you don't have to.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I'll second the poncho liner UQ. If you have some DIY skills a couple of inexpensive sleeping bags can be turned into a nice underquilt and top quilt or a single bag can be made into a peapod. A bit of research here should give you some good how-to ideas. Another possibility...a closed-cell foam sleeping pad from WallyWorld works well for many folks. The bedtime aerobics to get on it can be a bit of a pain but can usually be mitigated somewhat. Many folks report that they can work well into the 30s. I think WallyWorld carries 2 versions...one that's stiffer that's around $10-$15 and one that's a little less stiff and a bit wider for around $20-$25.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I use two 6ft by 29in pieces of Reflectix taped together on all 4 edges down to around 45*F instead of an UQ. I tried using just a 30*F sleeping bag but it was too cold without that insulation underneath me. Those 2 pieces probably cost me around $10. BTW, that was just enough at 45*F.

Another alternative is to shop online and find a used inflatable sleeping pad. Sometimes you can find these in thrift stores but only with a great deal of luck. UQs are nice, I have several, but you can get by with a sleeping pad. You'll want to partially inflate them for use in a hammock.

I highly recommend that you try out your equip by camping in your backyard first to make sure it works for you.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Message hillbilly deluxe on here. He had a really successful "redneck" way of rigging up an existing sleeping bag as an UQ that I've not seen anyone else do.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Even though I have multiple down UQs, 2 poncho liner UQs my son still prefers to use the sleeping bag method. Run the hammock through the sleeping bag and use a light weight fleece bag inside the hammock. He has done this for over two years. So if you already have the sleeping bags you're set. Maybe down the road you can switch to a fancier albeit more costly setup. But you don't have to.
    I find a sleeping bag hammock pod with a blanket inside very warm and comfortable - a little snug, but very comfortable if you can lay still/straight most of the night.
    Here's Shug using his sleeping bag pod in extreme (for me) temps. Note how he just added some cordage to to the ends of the bag to keep it in place.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTe6-kxY5rI
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

I found a link to Hillbilly Deluxe's setup on the adjustable sleeping bag under quilt. Might have to try it this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2vyOPqiuo

Hammock
    Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    There're some good ideas on here. I really like the idea of a "peapod", either just slapping a sleeping bag on there, or done right as a DIY project. Logically, it seems like it would be less weight than a separate UQ and TQ and warmer because it's sealed all the way around. But, if you're using a peapod and the weather's too cold to go without it, but too warm to kill the mosquitoes, how do you seal netting around the edges to keep those little vampires from getting in? Would you have enough no-see-um to loop all the way around underneath and seal at the bottom? I've got some no-see-um left over from a previous project. I was thinking about, if it's enough, sewing it directly to the hammock with a zipper for entry, but then I couldn't use a peapod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast