Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use a HUG Bugnet with a light weight sock/pod for transitional season (when I'm not using my HH).
    You could use a Sleeping bag pod for cold. For warm weather make a fleece pod by sewing 2 fleece blankets together. Make a HUG Bugnet to bring along for use as needed:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...k-Half-Bug-Net
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I thought the hillbilly deluxe thing was going to be hokey but I was surprised how well it works and how simple it is to set up.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    HENNY HYPER/EXP
    Tarp
    CAMO VERTEX
    Insulation
    BBJB
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    my sister and I bought 3 sleeping bags from the goodwill. we cut one of them down sowed them all together and then just used the zippers )there are 4 total 2 for the top and 2 for the bottom. and just zipp the whole thing around the hammock it seals up to the top and the bottom pretty nicely. Its not as ergonomic getting out as you have to unzip and then unzip and etc... but hey You might be a redneck if...
    "You are now Stuckinthetrees..."

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    I just used a sleeping bag that happened to have a Cinch closure at the top.
    I made the Cinch be the Bottom of the Pod.
    I just push the pod down to the foot end to get in and pulled it up like a snake skin.
    I rotated the bag so the Zipper was on top so I could vent.
    Will likely sewn on a couple of tabs so I can shock cord the top ends and I'll be set.

I was on a Thermarest Ridgerest pad (the wide version) and it was under my head and wrapped around a bit.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    If you have old sleeping bags like you've said, you could sew some grossgrain or webbing loops on the corners and use a piece of shock cord tied to one loop then run through a small nite-ize S-biner you can get at hardware and sporting goods stores for $2/ea. then get a cord lock from the camping section at wally world and loop the other end of the shock cord through the loop on the sleeping bag and through the cord lock. use that as your adjustment. do this on each end and you basically have an under quilt. S-biner clips on your hammock suspension. Devise a way to cinch the head and foot ends to close it up and you're set. If you have a sewing machine, just sew a 1" grosgrain channel on the head and foot ends and run more shock cord through the channel to another cord lock. If you have a sewing machine the grossgrain will cost less than $5, the 2 sbiners are less than $5, the cord locks are like $2 for 4 of them, so you just need shock cord. I buy that online from DIY gearsupply or some place like that. I use 1/4" or the 3/32.

To take care of the sag on the underquilt, you can sew 4-6 loops along both edges and then take some thin shock cord and loop that over your ridge line and it'll keep the quilt cinched up around you. You can get a nite ize "key chain" that has a bunch of really small sbiners on it that'd be perfect for this and is ususally available anywhere nite ize sbiners are sold. academy sports, wally world I think, home depot, etc.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    If you can sew, or know someone who does, you can make a nice one out of a Snugpak Jungle Blanket:

http://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-92246-.../dp/B00BTHREMK

If you can make it to the Annual Texas Hang in Fairfield this weekend:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p-Hang-ver-6-0

look me up at Campsite #31 and I'll show you the ones I made for my Grandchildren.

They should be good to 40 degrees, which should cover you 10 months out of the year in Texas.

PM me if you have any questions.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I picked up a twin mattress cover from IKEA'S mark down room (As-Is) $5.00 USD I put some ribbon and loops on the ends, hooked it up under my hammock I was comfortable down to 50 F. plus the pad was very water resistant, and washable. For a little guy washable would be very important.

I have found some Salvation Army Stores to be very lucrative resource center. In our area they have half off day every week. Some weeks they have anything that has been in the store for over two weeks is sold for $2.00. I mainly buy books from them, however I have found some top rate gear. Especially down things, sometimes with the hang tags still attached. I go in the morning when the store first opens. When I was looking for down, I found some very high quality sleeping bags. I washed and dried them before taking them home. They fluffed up just like new, they were a joy to take apart and repurpose the down. Nice blankets for a couple of dollars. Warm new looking clothing for little kids.

I find lots of the sleeping pads like Thermarest, sometimes they are old, but very functional, a good cleaning (easy to do) and they would work very well, without much of an investment. I see a lot of car camping hammock, mostly Coleman, some kid types and Target or Walmart. Many types of backpacks, both for kids and adults, brands like Go-Lite, Nike, Columbia Sports Wear along with some serious names. I bought 8 brand new climbing carabiners for $2.00, they still had the price sticker on them.

I do clean things even if they have all their hang tags attached, I worry about bugs, so I always clean before I bring home or use. Besides cleaning makes things feel like they are mine!

Oh, lots of nice kids books just $1.00 or .50 on half off day.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    If your looking for budget then nothing beats either the Walmart blue sleep pad or a pool inflatable. Dave C. has this vid on youtube about winterizing a hammock for the common man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12