Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW

Please Tell Me Why I'm Wrong

I'm completely new to this, so maybe I just don't know any better, but it seems like most of the suspension systems I've seen just seem way overcomplicated and/or heavy and/or expensive. I was thinking about using something like the SLS but even simpler. Kinda like this:
    Hang.png

It's just one continuous line used as a combination suspension and ridgeline. You attach one end of the line to a tree strap with a bowline or [insert knot of your choice]. Then you attach the other end to the other tree strap with a trucker's hitch so that it's adjustable, but you could probably eye the right line length for the hang you wanted right off with practice. After that you make a slip knot in the line at the location you want one end of the hammock and attach your hammock to the loop it forms via an s-hook (mine came with s-hooks). Do the same thing at the other end of the hammock, making sure to get the RL length right, and you're done. You could add a tarp and drip lines, underquilt, or whatever. Okay, it sounds complicated to type it all out, but you can see from the picture, it's really very very simple.

Please explain to me if/why this won't work.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You can reduce weight by using lighter material for the ridgeline or by forgoing it completely. (As you would still have to measure out the ridgeline whenever you move the s-hooks.)

I often hang off of fruit trees, which don't really have to many tie in point options when you're far away from the next tree. I like the quick flexibility of the standard system for this purpose.

That being said, I really hope you try it, and post results. This could be interesting...

Images
    It doesn't get much simpler than straps and buckles.

Many want to save some weight and still protect the tree's so tree straps, toggles and whoopies are their choice.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    I agree with OutandBack. I swap descender rings for cinch buckles every now and then.

Whoopie slings are cake too, but I prefer straps and buckles.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    A word of warning, the slip knot may reduce the durability/weight rating of your line. Now that I think about it, I did something similar earlier, with a bury instead of a slip knot & hook.

IMG_20140311_173029.jpg

I doubt you'll be able to see it, but that's basically just one line, with a UCR style bury that the hammock is hanging on. It worked well, so you should have no problems. As I recall, I switched styles just because I wanted a lower ridgeline weight.

So go for it! Just bury it instead (Don't worry, it's super easy to do, and you can easily convert that style into standard UCRs with no material loss).

Edit: You should be able to see two lines above the hammock. The lower one was my prototype ridgeline (It's thinner, if you look closely). The other thing you should note is that bugnetting may not hang properly without a closer ridgeline.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 09-25-2014 at 17:20.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    The re-tying of the RL every hang is a show stopper for me. Why not put two permanent alpine butterfly loops in your line for the s-hooks to make a permanent RL then do the truckers hitch off each end?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    A true SLS means a tarp suspension, too. I tried and tried to do it but was never satisfied. Olddog, Bearchaser, and others have done it successfully but I never could. Thing is that you have to have tension on the tarp guy line or the tarp sags when you get in the hammock. I personally did not like that limitation.

UCRs sound great theoretically. But when I used one in NM the trees were too close and I ended up just tying one end of the hammock to the tree. Bump a UCR and it lets go a few inches -- very irritating.

Descending rings work great but you have to tie them off at the rings with a half hitch and it's not easy to attach gear to them.

My Warbonnet strap and buckle system is great when paired with carbineers at the tree and hammock. Will use it this weekend in NM with my new "winter" set up. It will be cold in the mountains where I plan to hang.

The UL suspension I use is very simple. Mule tape DIY straps around the tree, Lark's Headed to 7/64" Amsteel tied to Dutch Biners at the hammock -- overhand knot with the bite jammed by a stick. It has worked every time. I'm relatively new to this. So, I mean about 10 nights in my UL set up. Others here have a lot more experience so read up! Look up SGT ROCK's UL suspension. But beware lest you die!
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    Bushwhacker, I don't have any hollow line yet, so I can't do a bury until I do (I just got my first hammock today and haven't hung it yet). I'm thinking of getting some Amsteel Blue 7/64". For the sake of cost, I was hoping to use this for everything. I do have some fishing drop line I could use for drip lines and guy lines or other low/no tension stuff. I'm also going to go to talk to a local auto salvage to see about getting some old seat belts to make tree straps. For test hangs before I get better line, I'll probably use 1/4" twisted yellow poly rope, tripled up for strength. It's what I use for securing loads in my pickup.

Also, what are you calling the "standard" system? Hey, I told you I was new.

Speaking of Amsteel Blue, I found a good price for the stuff online, but the shipping is a bit much. Does anyone know a source with both good price per foot and low shipping? I can't bring myself to buy a whoopie sling when I could get enough cord to make five or ten of them for the same price.

OandB and Lamph, you're right, that does look beautifully simple. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to use heavy suspension on a hammock that weighs 12oz total (Grand Trunk Ultralight).

Redoleary, great tip on the butterfly loop. I had to look up what it was, but it looks like a good way to make things easier.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrplan View Post
    Bushwhacker, I don't have any hollow line yet, so I can't do a bury until I do (I just got my first hammock today and haven't hung it yet). I'm thinking of getting some Amsteel Blue 7/64". For the sake of cost, I was hoping to use this for everything. I do have some fishing drop line I could use for drip lines and guy lines or other low/no tension stuff. I'm also going to go to talk to a local auto salvage to see about getting some old seat belts to make tree straps. For test hangs before I get better line, I'll probably use 1/4" twisted yellow poly rope, tripled up for strength. It's what I use for securing loads in my pickup.

Speaking of Amsteel Blue, I found a good price for the stuff online, but the shipping is a bit much. Does anyone know a source with both good price per foot and low shipping? I can't bring myself to buy a whoopie sling when I could get enough cord to make five or ten of them for the same price.

OandB and Lamph, you're right, that does look beautifully simple. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to use heavy suspension on a hammock that weighs 12oz total (Grand Trunk Ultralight).

Redoleary, great tip on the butterfly loop. I had to look up what it was, but it looks like a good way to make things easier.

By standard I meant systems that are broken into two separate pieces, instead of a single piece (like you're suggesting). For instance I consider the systems that OutAndBack mentioned as standard.

You can check my links in my signature for dealers, but I think most people here tend to go to Dutch for all their suspension needs. I believe Redden Marine is recommended for buying in bulk, and places like Hammockgear.com sells Dutchware. You could also try your local sailing supplier, but that's iffy (especially in Texas, I imagine).

P.S. There are hammocks that are lighter than 12oz. I suspect the record holder is Sgt Rock at 3.96 oz. But most ultralighters tend to go for the 5-7oz range. Depends on how tall you are aswell...

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrplan View Post

dutchwaregear.com is where to get your amsteel (he practically pays you to ship it)....... woopies are around $8-10 a piece, if you found a source where you can make 5 for the price of 1 that's a heck of a deal in my mind. so maybe contact that source and ask for cheaper shipping cause it don't cost that much to mail 100ft of it. funny when you browse through sites like amazon and the same item has a wide variation of price, then 1 vendor ships it for free and the other wants $20+ to ship it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast