Cycle touring in Western Europe

395.JPG

Hey guys, just thought I'd post a couple photos from a trip I made from Scotland to the South of France on my bike. I was cycling for 7 weeks and 3819km, and spent 31 nights in my Dream Hammock Darien which was made shorter and narrower. I was using the tarp from my old Hennessy Hammock and a Ridgerest with a pad extender I made between the layers of the double layered Darien. Most nights it was very warm but I did sleep in the Pyrenees at 1300m alt where it was quite a bit colder!

026.jpg

I spent eight days in Scotland. Don't let this photo deceive you, it was not actually very flat.

263.JPG

I watched the Tour de France twice in the Pyrenees.

179.jpg

Had some wicked naps.

361.JPG

And some windy nights. (Will a hex tarp fare better with strong wind?) I think you can also see the toggles I was using with my whoopie slings which are toothbrushes.

362.JPG

But the view in the morning was worth it.

423.JPG

And saw some pretty amazing scenery.

424.JPG

I don't have any more trips upcoming but this gives me the opportunity to look over my gear and make some changes. The first will be an underquilt, I'm thinking a 20* or 30*, and then a top quilt which can then be a lot lighter. I would really only ever be touring during the summer months. I wanted a foam mat with this trip so I could go to ground if necessary. I did so twice but it was only necessary the once. But even then it could have been avoided, I just didn't want to backtrack. The second is a new tarp, probably a hex, and probably cuben fibre.

I wrote a blog about my trip which you can read here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/europe2014. I also made some videos. Scotland: https://vimeo.com/m/99422748 and France/Spain: https://vimeo.com/m/104144070

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    What an awesome trip. I now have a new thing to add to the bucket list.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Hey thanks for the awesome trip report, I'd like to know more about how you were able to find places to camp along your way.

David

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Great trip report, I've not been through all of it though, will have to get to a computer. Did you stick to the great glen way for most of the fort william - inverness section or were you mostly on roads? I walked the GGW in April and spent half the time thinking about how good it would be to cycle; maybe not the section just after Invermoriston though, that would be tough.

Images
    Very nice trip report and beautiful picts.
    Did you write a blog on this trip? Would love to see/read more.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware
    Looks like you had a great adventure Hvelowade, I would love to see some of the "Tour" myself.

Cheers,
    Metz

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    That looks like fun to me. Thanks for sharing the inspirational report. Always nice to see a good tour been done in your corner of the planet ;-)

Thanks for the interest!

David: Most of the time I didn't know where I would be finishing cycling. The distances I covered varied considering the terrain and weather, but also my mood. Some days I was happiest sitting on the bike for ten hours, others I just wanted to read in the sun. So I didn't plan out where I was going each day. Sometimes, like the photo of Sete from my hammock spot, I could see that town from a distance. It's basically a hill, and much of the hill was wooded. So when I got there, I went up the hill and found a walking track, headed in there and climbed up the hill out of sight a little. There was one stretch down from Royan where there's a bike path right through the forest, so that was also just going away from the path a little. If I couldn't see trees I would look at my map for the areas shaded dark green, which meant forest. A lot of times I was camping pretty close to houses or civilisation. Then it's just a matter of setting up at nightfall and leaving early in the morning. I slept across the road from a hotel and in an orchard in front of four houses that way. I did get caught once though.

Craige: I did some of the GGW but it was pretty slow going. I was on a rigid road bike and so my shoulders and neck were acting as suspension, which became tiring. I was lucky that the road was not too muddy though. At Fort Augustus I took General Wade's Military Road.
    My blog has maps with the GPS tracks on them so you can zoom in as much as you like and it's 90% accurate of where I went. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=375875&v=EJ is probably the relevant page.

OutandBack: Yes my blog is here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/europe2014.
    I also made some short (3 min) videos. Scotland: https://vimeo.com/m/99422748 and France/Spain: https://vimeo.com/m/104144070

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice trip! I like to hear that you got by stealth camping - I have to overcome my rule-abiding Swedishness when travelling on the continent, because you show there's a world of opportunities for a great adventure that way!

• + New Posts