Clark NX-250 DIY underquilt

An update on my Clark underquilt design..... I purchased a sleeping bag zipper (still need a longer one), separated the sides, sewed on velcro, zipped it to a down bag I have, and attached it to my Clark NX-250. So far so good but still some things to work out. Pics!!!! Tetons in background, Blacktail Butte in mid, and buffalo herd in foreground not very far away.... Total cost so far, about $20 for the sleeping bag length zipper and some velcro. P1000572 (800x600).jpgP1000571.jpgP1000570.jpg

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Very nice !!

Thanks! I see you have the same hammock and have a nice underquilt already. The bag shown is down so it isn't a great deal heavier than a designed underquilt, and as a gearhead, I do have other bags so I can just create a zipper/Velcro strip for each one I want to use and I can create a range of bags for various temps. I also bought a bunch of cheap but sturdy and light weight tarp clips that kinda operate like locking clothes pins that can snug things up but despite the low hanging appearance of the bag in the pics, it doesn't really hang much lower than the under pockets we have on our NX-250s. The standard cinch at the head end of the bag helps a lot.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Jax, it sounds like you have everything worked out. Keep going and good luck with the hammock the cold weather is coming.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Zertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liner 250
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Jax, Nice inventive idea! If you have an underquilt protector you could use that to pull the bag up closer to the hammock.

Allen

I have a great Coleman product for that if necessary.... its a waterproof poncho that doubles as a blanket, is waterproof on one side and fleece on the other so it can be used as a lighter weight under quilt on its own or over the top of another for an added layer and protective cover. Despite the appearance in the photos, thanks to the underneath pockets on this model, the bag is really quite close to the bottom of the hammock already apart from the hanging corner. The tarp clip will take care of that and is a newer acquisition than the photos. Thanks for the comment! Jaxnmarko

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Very inventive.

I too have a Clark NX-250 and use JRB Mt Washington full length UQ.

The only potential problem I see is the distance your UQ is from the bottom of your hammock. I live in Canada and often sleep out in -20 deg temps. I've found in cool weather a small air gap between the bottom of the hammock and the UQ is no big deal, but when the temp drops any space means a sleepless night.

Let us know how it works in cold temps.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Was out this weekend in cold weather (started to Snow on Sunday night) and woke up with a few cold spots on my arms. After further investigation, testing, and moving things around it would appear the poles on the ends of my Clark NX-250 prevented my UQ from coming up the sides of the hammock completely. Needless to say the poles are now sitting on a shelf at home replaced by two shock cords attached from the tabs where the poles were to the tarp ridge line.

No more cold arms and the shock cord rigging keeps the netting and weather cover off of my face just fine.

I've learned how to roll the sleeping bag/underquilt inward before I clip it into place so it fits more snugly and limits any air gaps while increasing that extra bit of insulated added along the edges where any heat might escape as well. So far it works great and I can use a variety of bags in this way. The Coleman waterproof blanket/ponch has fleece on one side and waterproof polyester on the other and adds a great layer for protection against wind and weather as well as more insulation and another air gap layer.

Hammock
    TX-270, TTTM
    Tarp
    CCS, Vertex
    Insulation
    HG, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    HammockFan &Straps
    Excellent job. Looks like a nice way to re-purpose gear you already have.

• + New Posts