Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti

Who still hangs with just knots

I have seen and almost purchased all kinds of do dad's for hanging your tarp and hammock. As a new hanger though, I thought it best to learn the knots and I have come to find that I like using them. Seems like it's just as fast if not faster and there is less to fiddle with.

Am I missing something?

Images
    My whoopies are attached to the hammock ends with Larks heads.
    I use markinspikes hitch with stick toggles for the whoopie to tree strap and the tree strap is just looped thru the sewn loop.
    Does that count as knots only?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL/AH Original
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex w/SS
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    You are absolutely correct....the knowledge of how to use the right knot for the right job is a must...You can't know too much.

Hammock
    Warbonnet xlc
    Tarp
    hg cf and spinn
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    straps/ dynaglide
    Anyone who owns a hennessey that hasn't upgraded uses their "figure eight knot". My first DIY hammock still has 6mm rope with which I use a truckers hitch with a "safety half hitch" to hang myself up off the damp ground.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I do the same as outandback, an have no dohickies for my tarp ridgeline. I do have some linelocs on the guy lines though, but only because it came with them. If they break, I'll just replace them with knots.

I like knots, and I like knowing which ones to use in any particular moment.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    most my life I have been on boats worked on boats teaching diving for 15 years sailing cats for chunk of that on top so knots are in my blood and working with line is second nature to me
    for my hammock though the cinch buckles are awesome but I car camp if I hiked would be using whoopies maybe as they seem more fun

tarps I used to set up huge tarps over our 55 foot catamaran 2x a day 6 days a week to shade tourists with just knots
    I do want to try those little dutch hook things for the tarps though just to make the one end triangle quicker and easier and tie the other end

I also dont own any of those figure 9 that seem popular ? if anything they are more confusing to me ahahhaahha

funny when I read stuff here I am so used to sail lingo and rope is something we hang you with or rope is actually wire ? rope can be raw of course but its LINE in my head

enjoying the hammock thing because there is more line involved and a chance to do some splicing and stuff again

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally don't use knots enough to remember them - never have and never will. I always carry a laminated placard with basic knot instruction.

When it comes to hammocks, I like Amsteel whoopie slings with Dutch Whoopie Hooks. People like 7/64 Amsteel because it is incredibly light and incredibly strong (1600 lbs. breaking strength). It doesn't hold knots well at all (knots derate the rope up to 50%), which is why the manufacturer (Samson Rope) recommends you stick to splices.

Of course, some folks prefer straps and buckles because they feel it's easier than whoopies (though strap suspensions usually weigh more). Finally, there's the rope lovers. I would imagine a rope suspension with an appropriately built-in safety margin will weigh more than whoopies or straps. I like a 10-1 safety margin (occupant weight to breaking strength) though some folks go as low as 5-1 or 3-1.

Another consideration, if you're a winter camper, is which one will be easiest to use when your fingers start going numb after 30 seconds of exposure. Though I'm sure I'll never again use a rope suspension (been there, done that), I'm still on the fence about the best suspension for cold temps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I still occasionally use an HH UL Explorer with the stock suspension and lashing. I use either slippery trucker's hitch or taught line hitch on my tarps, always have. Might consider something else in extreme cold because of the numb fingers mentioned by SilvrSurfr.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Hum---Knots $%^&#&! Very first thing to go when I started Hanging. HH knots were impossible for me to undo in the cold wet rain, that is so often happening where we Hang.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    the HH knots he does are well I would not bother kinda like someone who does not know knots does wrap wrap wrap wrap
    or its like watching someone tie off to a cleat who does not know how and thinks a bunch of wraps are what you do hahahaha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast