Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Help identifying fabric and your opinion please

I found this fabric at a Hancock store on sale for 2.00/yard. I am not sure what this is called. The white side feels like a VERY thin rubbery finish. The bolt says weather resistant rip stop outer wear. Would this work for a tarp when car camping? What about the durability? I know sil is much lighter but we mostly car camp or walk short distances to set up. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It looks like either a rubber or PU-coated ripstop of some kind. Check the fabric burn chart for help in IDing it.

As far as whether it'd be okay for a tarp, the shower test is your friend. Take some, wrap it up over a balled-up paper towel so the towel isn't exposed, and stick it under the shower head (or your hose) on high. If the paper towel comes out dry (well, before your wet hands touch it, anyway), the fabric is probably okay to use as a tarp--as long as, like you mentioned, weight isn't much of a factor.

At $2 a yard, you can probably get a sample to play with test fairly cheap...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    It looks like either a rubber or PU-coated ripstop of some kind. Check the fabric burn chart for help in IDing it.

As far as whether it'd be okay for a tarp, the shower test is your friend. Take some, wrap it up over a balled-up paper towel so the towel isn't exposed, and stick it under the shower head (or your hose) on high. If the paper towel comes out dry (well, before your wet hands touch it, anyway), the fabric is probably okay to use as a tarp--as long as, like you mentioned, weight isn't much of a factor.

At $2 a yard, you can probably get a sample to play with test fairly cheap...
    Thanks! I am almost 100% sure its nylon ripstop. I was curious what term was used for this kind of backing. I have searched for PU rip stop and everything I find talkes about a coating on one side ( that can wear off). This is more like a lining. Dosen't seem like it would wear off. Maybe a rip stop laminent or something. For the price, I think I will test it out. Not near as heavy as you would think...uh, in car camper weight.

• + New Posts