Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images

Tree Size at Cross Timbers Texoma

Hi folks. I'm planning to head out to Cross Timbers at Lake Texoma soon for the first time. It dawned on me that I only have 3' tree huggers and I'm not sure what the trees at the campsites look like up there. I know there's supposed to be a lot of blackjack oak, which I believe is a smaller diameter tree, but I don't know what is growing at the actual sites.

I'm not really sure where I'll make camp. I might stop walking 3/4 of a mile in or I might make 7 miles. But if I know that a certain site will or won't do with my straps, I'll use that as a goal or change where I park. I don't think I'll be able to get new straps before then and I really don't want to spend any more money on this particular trip anyway.

Any help is welcome and thank you in advance!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Its been a long time since the last time I went out there, but I remember there being a great campsite for hanging less than a mile from the start of the trail. Right on the lake, but also, right on the trail. As far as tree size, I was using strap suspension so I can't recall exact size of the trees. I don't remember them being anything too big. There are a ton of trees and a lot of places you could hang. I'm sure you can find something that'll work. Although, you'd really open up your options with longer huggers.

Enjoy. I'm hoping to get out there sometime this winter.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    You could use rope instead of tree huggers, It's relatively inexpensive if a bit heavy. Run it around the tree 3 or more times and clip to all the lines, not just one. Multiple rounds spreads the load (less stress on the line) and lessens the pressure on any one point of the tree. I did this for years with my HH because the trees here are large and the huggers I had weren't long enough. I suppose it might damage some trees with fragile bark, but it never left any damage on the conifers I hung from.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks! I'm going to roll the dice with my huggers, but I will have some cordage with me.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    tons of trees. It's been around 2 years since I hiked it. But lots of different distances between trees. Most of the trees were like 8 to 12 inches in diameter. the camp sites have fire rings and zero underbrush. Some, like 5 mile camp, is like 100 foot square all ready for camping. I hiked with Caveman and he also pointed out some other sites he'd camped in or "thought about it"....stuff that was NOT an existing camp area.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.7mtn Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs12
    Insulation
    JrB Nest
    Suspension
    Dutch kevlar strap
    I was just in Xtimbers in late may. I found plenty of places to hang even with my little Hennessey straps. Have fun going up Monkey's Butt Hill

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    tons of trees. It's been around 2 years since I hiked it. But lots of different distances between trees. Most of the trees were like 8 to 12 inches in diameter. the camp sites have fire rings and zero underbrush. Some, like 5 mile camp, is like 100 foot square all ready for camping. I hiked with Caveman and he also pointed out some other sites he'd camped in or "thought about it"....stuff that was NOT an existing camp area.
    +1 on rhjanes decent trees everywhere. We camped about a mile down the trail just off the path, but the ability to go much further is there. One of my favorite "close by" places.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks guys. Really looking forward to it. I'll be using the aforementioned Hennessy straps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I had a great time despite some CBS. And the trees were perfect!!!

Made a short slide show of some shots where the trail neared the lake as well as around 5 Mile camp.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    NIce video..
    Texas lakes are getting SO low.....sad and scary.
    CBS? My one trip on the Cross Timbers, was a winter hike. I survived 18 degrees in the hammock (and CBS....but I learned some stuff! Tighten up the UQ, Do NOT put your platy between the UQ and hammock as that just pulled the UQ away, kept the water from freezing, but also made me cold).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts