Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps

Super fly leaking big time

In the first real rain I have used this tarp in I was let down. Leaks at 2 of the tie outs and I where the tarp pole mod touched the top. I don't see info on a recommended sealer on the WB site. Any recommendations?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Silnet or pertex flowable silicone sealant.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    This isn't a case of the tarp letting you down so much as a case of not paying attention to (admittedly hard to find) details. It is a case of not reading the fine print for your product (same thing happened to me). I had the same experience my first night in the rain with my SF. Brandon should do a better job calling out the need for sealing of tie outs directly on the product page; it's too easy to miss and the subject comes up on the forum more often than it should. The only clue is a link from the SF product page to "Tarps 101".

From the bottom of the Tarps 101 section of the Warbonnet site (I added bold highlights for the relevant section):

Seam sealing

All our tarps incorperate low stretch polyester edge binding on the Ridgeseam, this means the ridge does not need any seam sealer, however if your tarp has panel pulls (SF, MJ, CB, GT) then you will want to seal the 4 panel pulls. You'll want a suitable silicone (like GE Siliocone II from the hardware store). Set up the tarp where you can leave it pitched for about 8 hours or so. Apply the thinnest possible layer of silicone (your finger works well) to the stiches (to the stitches only) on the underside of each panel pull (underside of tarp only), and leave the tarp setup till dry (4-12 hours depending on temperature).
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 09-30-2014 at 18:53.

It doesn't NEED sealed. the fold he sews into the ridgeline prevent leakage. applying the force of short pole pole mod on the ridgeline will let the water through, hence why it only came through the points where it made contact. This is half the reason I believe TT went with the long pole mod, to avoid contact with the ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    This is available at autopart stores

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1204672/

I just applied it to my tie-outs.

Did you end up getting wet?

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    on the underside of each panel pull (underside of tarp only)
    Oops - I finally got around to sealing my SF and looks like I goofed - I sealed the outside instead. The sealer seemed to adhere well and intuitively it seemed like the better side to seal.

Any reassurances that an outside seam job will hold up OK?

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Good lord! Just seal it with some Sil-Net and be done with it. Tarps, even ones that claim not to need sealing, NEED SEALING. Anyone who's been in the woods for more than an occasional car camping weekend trip will tell you that. Nothing wrong with the tarp, looks like inexperienced user error, to me. Complaining about this is like someone taking back their new hiking boots to REI because they kept falling off....even though they did not lace them up. It's not their fault for not knowing that. Blame it on the boot maker.

BF
    Last edited by bigfoot2; 09-30-2014 at 19:29.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on pertex flowable silicone. Works great.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    It doesn't NEED sealed. the fold he sews into the ridgeline prevent leakage. applying the force of short pole pole mod on the ridgeline will let the water through, hence why it only came through the points where it made contact. This is half the reason I believe TT went with the long pole mod, to avoid contact with the ridgeline.
    Mine certain DID need to be sealed on the tie outs when first purchased, without any use of a pole mod. Those stitches in the tie outs leaked all over me in only a moderate rain.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    Good lord! Just seal it with some Sil-Net and be done with it. Tarps, even ones that claim not to need sealing, NEED SEALING. Anyone who's been in the woods for more than an occasional car camping weekend trip will tell you that. Nothing wrong with the tarp, looks like inexperienced user error, to me. Complaining about this is like someone taking back their new hiking boots to REI because they kept falling off....even though they did not lace them up. It's not their fault for not knowing that. Blame it on the boot maker.

BF
    Harsh man. No need to rub his nose in it! I'd chase you down like a dog and really give you a lecture on sensitivity training except my boots keep falling off due to some manufacturing defect!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Top and Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hey bigfoot2, lighten up! If you look at his post you can tell that cjayflo is new to the hobby, after all it was his first rain hang. I learned to seal seams 47 years ago as a young scout after almost floating out of a brand new tent (oh what a cold miserable wet week-end that was). You learned too at some point in your experience. 30 years from now cjayflo will be able to pass the info on to another camper and he will have his horror story to tell. We all have to learn as we go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast