We attempted the Anderson Flat direct route in the San Gorgonio Wilderness Area (SGWA), about 2 hours east of Los Angeles, California over the weekend. Our usual stomping grounds. The boys 8yrs, 6yrs, and myself, planned to summit Anderson Peak and camp nearby at Trail Fork Springs. Our packs were loaded for a 3 day camping trip. We began our trip at Forsee Creek trailhead at 7:15am on Saturday, May 24, 2014. (A few months back I know, but I just got around to getting the video finished now.) This was the boys' first trip in hammocks. I was still in a t*#!.

We were on the trail for about 20-30 minutes before we began bushwacking just below the first big switchback after the wilderness boundary. There was a really steep decline just a minute or two off the trail and then another very steep decline about 10 minutes later descending into the Barton Creek West Fork which, by the way, was flowing strong. Losing elevation is always hard when you know you’re just going to have to gain it again. Beautiful scenery in that area.

It's all uphill from there. Some very steep climbing out of the creek up to the top of the ridge followed shortly thereafter by the first rock band which, from where we encountered it, was easy enough to navigate. I went up first while the boys waited safely below away from any possible danger of falling rock. I dropped off my pack and then came back down and followed the boys up while carrying my oldest son's pack, him carrying his younger brother's pack, and the youngest with no pack.

The time and energy spent between leaving the trail and gaining the first rock band far outweighed the distance covered. As with all bushwacking, the constant visual scanning of the terrain looking for the best route slows your pace. To do this route a second time would be quicker.

Once up on the ridge flat ground is very hard to come by. Your ankles are always strained at one angle or another. The forest floor is soft with layers of pine needles and your feet slip a little with almost every step, like walking in sand at the beach.

There is no water between where we crossed Barton Creek below and Trail Fork Springs at the top. We did follow Barton Creek all the way up but to come down from the ridge to the stream is too steep and too far to be a safe or reasonable option. We encountered no suitable flat ground to set up a tent if you wanted to break the trip up into 2 days, and if you had enough water to do so.

We made it to about 8500' which is about half way, when my 6yr old was done with it. It is a very steep ridge and we had been on it for about 6 hours. We were starting to run low on water and there was still too much distance and elevation left to climb for me to push him on. We had to turn around which was a very difficult decision. Neither option would be easy. It was hot and we were going through a lot of water. We would have run out if we continued on. But climbing back down that rock band was not something I wanted to do either.

When we finally made it back down to the area we crossed we the creek in the morning, we had been backpacking for about seven hours. It was a hard days work and we were glad to have camp set up near flowing water. We relaxed in hammocks at the campsite the whole next day and the hike out on the third day was very quick and easy which was nice.

It was a great experience but it was hard work. They boys did great. Very proud of them.