Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Set of quilts for Scandinavian hanging

Hi there.

Figured this was a more appropriate place to ask my questions.
    I have been dodging around ordering a proper full set of quilts to replace the sleeping bag and PLUQ I've been using so far. It's worked fine, but the SB is quite bulky and heavy, being synthetic, and the PLUQ don't quite cut it for autumn and winter, and the early spring, unless supplemented with a pad... And that really ruins the whole point of an uq

Living in Denmark with a very typical Scandinavian climate, meaning summer temps in the night between 10-20 and winter temps between 5 and minus 15. In Celsius by the way. Add to that some wind and generally high humidity.

I'm pretty sure down quilts is what I want, for the reduced bulk and weight, and I'm pretty sure the humidity won't be a real issue. I mainly camp 3 seasons, but usually a winter trip or two as well, so I'd like to be able to use the same quilts ear round and just supplement with a little more clothes and a UQP for winter.

I've been thinking about a 20 Phoenix with 1 oz overstuff and a 40 burrow with 1 oz overstuff. Looking at the temp ratings it looks okay to me, but since it's a big investment I'd like a bit of experienced eyes and advice on this

Additional info that might, or might not, be relevant.
    Tarp is a WB Edge, pending funds for doors.
    Hammock is a Woodsman Lite.
    I'm 175 cm tall and weigh in at about 63kg.
    I'd say I'm an average temp sleeper, neither really hot nor cold.
    Weight is important as well as reducing bulk. Trying to go light, but not ultralight.

Cheers.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    My 20 F UQ and 20 F TQ have kept me comfortable in temps ranging from -10C to 22C (15 - 70F). I sometimes need to vent the top quilt on the warmer nights but generally leave the UQ snugged up.
    I think your choice of UQ will cover all your needs - maybe just double it up with your PLUQ on the really cold nights. But I think the 40 Burrow may come up a little lacking sometimes for you. I don't like to sleep in extra clothes so I chose a temp rating that would allow me to sleep in my skivvies most of the time. The 20 would only add about 4 oz over the 40.
    FWIW - I don't have a lot of experience with down so I am quite nervous about any moisture around it. My approach, for now at least, is to use synthetics on the outside (UQ) and use down inside (TQ).
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Woodsman Lite
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    SB, PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you.
    I don't mind an extra shirt for sleeping and the majority of my trips are around spring, summer and early autumn, so I'm thinking that the 40 should cover that. Might spring for a custom 30, but I'd rather have the option to add a shirt if it gets a bit colder than having a tq that's too warm.
    The most critical part was the uq, if that's in place and covers my temp needs, then I'm usually pretty snug on top.

• + New Posts