Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ

WB Travel Sock Question

I currently have an 11' DH Thunderbird and I am considering getting a travel sock for cold weather camping. It looks like the one from WB would work best for me. I know 2QZQ has extenders for this sock to be used on 11' hammocks. Are these extenders necessary or just allow the sock to vent from the ends or will this be too much ventilation at the wrong spots? When laying in the hammock with the sock does the zipper for the door come near the head area or does it come above/below the head area?

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    my opinion is the extenders are a must, my 10' hammock comes real close to the ends. the zipper is a long curve, think smiley face but upside down

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Hang View Post
    I currently have an 11' DH Thunderbird and I am considering getting a travel sock for cold weather camping. It looks like the one from WB would work best for me. I know 2QZQ has extenders for this sock to be used on 11' hammocks. Are these extenders necessary or just allow the sock to vent from the ends or will this be too much ventilation at the wrong spots? When laying in the hammock with the sock does the zipper for the door come near the head area or does it come above/below the head area?
    Doesn't your Tbird come with a winter top cover? If so, all you need is a breathable under quilt protector @ about 1/3rd the cost.

Top cover + UQP = winter sock

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Thanks for catching that OutandBack. I messed up. It is a FreeBird instead of a Thunderbird.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own a WB travel sock and it won't be sufficient for an 11' hammock unless you hang it with a lot of sag. There might be an issue with your underquilt touching the bottom of the sock and being compressed, though. I don't have extenders, so I don't know how well they work.

I bought an 11' winter sock from Wilderness Logics last year, that is very similar to the WB sock. Sadly, WL doesn't have it on their website anymore. But you could contact them and ask if they would make one for you. Dream Hammock also makes a winter sock, but without zipper. So do a couple of other vendors.

Images
    I can't believe none of our vendors have started to offer a properly sized winter sock for 11' hammocks.
    Since they pretty much are the standard these days.

Op I would not recommend any of the pototo sack type closures in hammock socks.
    They cannot be vented properly to eliminate condensation in the cold.
    If you are just looking for Fall/Spring wind protection they are fine.

I live in Colorado and hang a couple nites a week year round on my deck.
    I have done extensive condensation testing.

Here's a couple of my winter setups:

DIY winter sock for a bridge hammock:

Modified WB sock to fit a BMBH-UL bridge
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-06-2014 at 15:54.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I am using the Traveler sock with extensions and an 11ft hammock. I would prefer a larger sock because when you add the price of the extensions (and shipping), it gets a little spendy.

The sock idea itself is great; it really allows for a wide range of conditions. And though the sock itself isn't waterproof, it is water resistant enough to add just that needed extra protection from rain blowing in the ends of the tarp. Even with the extensions (they are only 6" or so longer), for me, the ends of the hammock are not completely inside. But it is not expected to be hermetically sealed.

Note that the zipper opening is only one one side of the Traveler sock. So if your hammock has a "head end" and you want to face a certain direction and get out of the hammock on a particular side, you may need to change the sock so the zipper is where you want it - easy to do. The traveler zipper is symmetric with a head to foot arch. It is a double zipper so I put the foot end all the way through the arch and near my head. I pull the head end next to it. That way, I can open it just enough to see out and usually keep it open for some ventilation.

Now the sock for the Ridge Runner is different. Because of the taper to fit on the different size spreader bars, there is a definite head end and foot end and the zipper on the standard model only comes on one side. But for a few dollars more (we all know the tune, go ahead and whistle it), Brandon will sell one with a zipper on both sides. That is a great option so you can get in your bridge on either side.

Note that unlike the Traveler sock that can be removed easily, the Ridge Runner sock required taking apart the suspension system so you can feed the lines that come from the spreader bars to the apex connector through grommets in the sock.

When you are talking/emailing a vendor about sock (or bug net) length, make sure you are on the same page. So list a product as "11 ft" but what they mean is, it is designed to fit an 11 ft hammock based on the standard 83% sag. So the "11 ft" net or sack might only be 9 ft-ish long. If you hang tighter than 83%, it may no cover the ends fully. But the ends are usually covered enough. My experience is the whole hammock doesn't have to be completely enclosed (so only the suspension extends out) in the sock for it to provide its advantages.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It would be nice if there was a 11' zippered sock option. I am not a fan of the pull over your head sock either. I will be using it throughout the winter so I want one that I can vent easily. I wish I had DIY skills to make one. My daughter is 13 and starting to learn how to sew. Maybe I will have to wait until her skills get better so she can make me one.

• + New Posts