WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Red River Gorge - Gray's Arch to Hanson's Point

I did an over-nighter with a newbie at Red River Gorge. We did a short loop from the Gray's Arch parking lot around Rough Trail to Gray's Arch & on to Hanson's Point. Then, back along Pinch em Tight Trail.

IMG_20141004_164018809_HDR.jpg

We camped at Hanson's Point, which was a popular spot this weekend. I've wanted to camp at Hanson's Point since I first went out there. I had reservations about picking this as our site with the low temps and wind exposure. It was primed to be a true test of my homemade JCP top quilt!

Screenshot_2014-10-04-07-30-16%u00255B1%u00255D.png

We found a decent spot that was over the ridge just a bit, which helped with the wind. We set up camp, got a fire going and started dinner.

IMG_20141004_180003766.jpg

On the menu was homemade beef stroganoff and cookies & creme pudding (I'm loving the freezer bag meals!).

IMG_20141004_184647187_HDR.jpg

I really don't prefer dry campsites. My main reason for wanting to camp at Hanson's Point was to catch the sunrise in the morning. The views are sure worth the price though!

IMG_20141005_070202873.jpg
    View from the hammock in the morning

IMG_20141005_071127239.jpg

IMG_20141005_072014602_HDR.jpg

I had hoped to find the Ledford Arches. Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck this trip...I guess I'll have to go back!

We finished our trip with a stop at Miguel's for some pizza!

IMG_20141005_114109975.jpg

My bonehead move for this trip was packing my good camera. I debated packing the weight and risking damage to the camera. But, I was really hoping to get some nice pics. I figured for an overnight trip the weight didn't matter that much and why did I buy the camera if I'm not gonna use it. So, I brought it along. But, did you know that these fancy digital SLR cameras need a memory card...Who knew?!?

My set up this trip was a Warbonnet BB with a Mamajamba tarp. I used an Underground Quilts 20* UQ w/a couple ounces of over stuff and a homemade JCP TQ & a silk liner. The temps got down to 35* with a slight breeze. I slept in Under Armor cold gear, two pair of thinner wool socks, wool T-shirt, dri-fit running shirt, pullover fleece, beanie and shemagh. I stayed warm enough to be comfortable except a couple times when my feet came out of the foot box or when I rolled and exposed my back. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised how well the JCP TQ worked. When I pieced it together I never had any intentions of using in in 30* weather. But, I had to spread my gear around to be able to bring the newcomer.

Hope others were able to get out and enjoy the great weather we had here!
    Last edited by Broken Halo; 10-06-2014 at 08:10.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. Gotta love those ridge top views.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great photos!

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great pics. The campsites en route to Hanson's point used to be our go-to area to camp. The view is hard to beat! Now I'm jelly of you because we were camping in the valley along the Auxier Ridge loop this past weekend.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CC_Cinci View Post
    Great pics. The campsites en route to Hanson's point used to be our go-to area to camp. The view is hard to beat! Now I'm jelly of you because we were camping in the valley along the Auxier Ridge loop this past weekend.
    There's an established campsite, on an unmarked trail not far down from the split to Double Arch, that I think is nice (and right next to water!).

I really like RRG (it was a lil crowded this weekend). I just don't know any backpackers to get out with much.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Thanks for the trip report. I was just there a month ago and y'all are very lucky to have the gorge.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Hey, Ill be headed to the Gorge this weekend and haven't ever gotten to Hansons point before. Ill be hiking that same loop from Grays arch area, along rough trail, back up koomer ridge and buck trail etc. I was curious how to get to Hansons point, if youd be inclined to give me any tips. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by sirishness View Post
    Hey, Ill be headed to the Gorge this weekend and haven't ever gotten to Hansons point before. Ill be hiking that same loop from Grays arch area, along rough trail, back up koomer ridge and buck trail etc. I was curious how to get to Hansons point, if youd be inclined to give me any tips. Thanks!
    It is the near the intersection of Rough Trail and Pinch-em Tight. Coming from Gray's Arch on Rough Trail after you cross the foot bridge (log) at "Footwash Basin/Falls" and climb back up on the ridge, the unmarked trail will be on the left just before the Rough Trail bends right. If you get to Pinch-em Tight Trl, you've gone too far.

Hope this helps.

HP.JPG

It's kind of an intersection where you go left to head towards grays arch, but instead the boys leading the troop turn right cause they can't navigate and don't wait for the rest of the troop to get there before going on. SMH. That was the last time they got to lead.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook
    Looks good, I just did a Ridge hike about a month ago. Did a similar route and loved it. I'll def be going back this summer, I'll have to look into getting to Hanson's Point as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast