Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch

Newbie Q - Foul weather - keeping gear dry...

Just curious how people store their gear in foul weather whilst hanging. I've gotten accustomed to at least keeping my extra clothing and what not in my tent - if using my one person tent I hang my pack with a cover over it although most of what is inside is fine getting wet.

When hammocking - do folks use a ground cloth and leave stuff under your hammock and tarp? It seems like a ground cloth would give you a dry spot to plant, get your shoes off and get into your hammock or to stand while changing clothes as well.

I'm headed out on an overnight this weekend and am anxious to finally try out a hammock (likely using a Grand Trunk SB UL; Arrowhead Toxaway tarp). The weather is predicted currently to have a 30% chance of rain saturday, saturday night and sunday so I'm expecting to have at least some foul weather to contend with. I was really hoping to try it out on a nice dry trip, maybe the weather will change .. fingers crossed...

I can still hang my pack on a tree like normal with a cover; but wasn't sure where to store my rain shell, damp non sleeping clothes, etc... which I'd have in a vestibule and/or side of tent away from my bag/pad.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9do...zD9YHK1IFwG7qA

I have adopted a similar method putting it on a piece of plastic up under my tarp. I also use trash bags 1 to stuff my sleep system in and one for clothes and other stuffs I don't want getting wet.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Heh, heh.... age old noob question. Here's my advice - especially since you have a nice big Tox like me! - when it rains, you'll have a nice light colored hex shape on the ground around your hammock. Think of that area as your tent. You don't need walls to stay dry. Yes, rain can blow sideways, but that's not typically the case this time of year AND when you're in the woods, you're typically not getting any of that due to the fact that it just doesn't blow through the forest like that. Still, if you're on an exposed site where you might get some windblown rain, you'll just have a smaller hex shape on the ground from lowering the sides of your Tox.

Yes, I take something to lay my gear on and put it under the hammock. So, you'll be doing exactly the same thing as before when you bring your gear "into your tent".
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I think it comes down to personal preference. Hanging on the suspension with a cover is one popular method, as is laying it beneath the hammock on a ground cloth. I'm a fan of the gear hammock, either slung beneath you or a stand-alone, like the Molly Mac Gear Box (my personal favorite).

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch
    OK - I'm a dodo bird - thought I'd watched all of shug's videos but... doh!

Thanks for the suggestions and the comment likening the dry space to a tent is quite helpful - good perspective! And yes, I'm glad to have a tarp like the toxaway - set it up yesterday and it is confidence inspiring with potential bad weather!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    I recently made a gear hammock from one of those Wally-World 5'x7' blue tarps. I used some paracord to whip the ends together. I just hang it near me under my hammock tarp and when I put my gear in it I flip the sides over the top and it covers all of my gear.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I am very hesitant to add new gear like "gear hammocks" to my kit. Those things are just gadgets, and gadgets add pack weight.

Ground cloth for a hammock? I don't get that either. You're in a hammock; you're not on the ground. Why the heck would you need a ground cloth? I hang anything and everything off my hammock ridgeline: shoes, pack, clothes, etc. It's all there, high and dry.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've used the ENO gear sling a couple times. It's supposed to hang just under your hammock for easy reach but I've also hung it on prusiks from my tarp ridge line just above me and I've tried tethering it from one end of my hammock suspension out to a trekking pole so it could be right beside me. It does add about 8 oz. to your pack weight but it's nice it have everything off the ground. That being said...I'm just a noob too. LOL.

I have a second hammock that I lash to "my" hammock. It stays right by the ground (about 3" off the ground) and it is covered my by tarp, so it stays dry also. My gear hammock weighs in at like a pound and a half.

Hammock
    DIY Cloud
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I am very hesitant to add new gear like "gear hammocks" to my kit. Those things are just gadgets, and gadgets add pack weight.

Ground cloth for a hammock? I don't get that either. You're in a hammock; you're not on the ground. Why the heck would you need a ground cloth? I hang anything and everything off my hammock ridgeline: shoes, pack, clothes, etc. It's all there, high and dry.
    I second this with the exception that I usually just leave my boots on the ground right below my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast