DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    When I got my first Dreamhammock, I discussed with Randy about the single layer taffeta vs double-layer nylon. He said strenght is equal but moskitos will have a harder time with DL. So I thought the UQP can take care of that. I can even use some repellent without directly sleeping on it. And it may just give that little extra temperature against CBS in summer when otherwise no UQ is needed. But all are never practised theories.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Iv'e found that an UQP works well to add warmth when used as the sole source of bottom insulation down to about 65* - 60* and adds a little warmth to extend the range of an UQ allowing me to take an SSUQ 40* quilt into the low 30"s and with the addition of a space blanket into the mid 20's. I have only used UQP's made with water proof material which goes cross grain with accepted practices. I converted a walmart 5'x7' tarp for my 1st one early on before I had an UQ and later used a HH undercover modified to hang lower on a HH Explorer UL with good results.

This winter I will be testing other material in DIY and/or one by a cottage vendor. I do not have a proper winter tarp so I would benefit from potential splash protection since my warbonnet edge tarp doesn't extend low enough to eliminate possible splash even though I have doors the tarp would offer no added protection from wind whipping under the tarp. I know I could benefit from a winter tarp but with the minimal deep winter camping I do that'll have to wait.

It seems that for a few ounces the UQP can be a valuable piece of gear, especially for those who haven't got a UQ rated low enough the UQP could help to extend their range. I wouldn't want to bet my life on an UQP but I also don't think the benefit is negligent either. As stated earlier additional protection from rain is a benefit as well as the added peace of mind for protecting their expensive and warmth providing UQ. It appears to me that knowing that ones UQ would stay dry over the duration of an extended trip would also be a selling point especially for those who to not have a down treated to be water resistant or water proof.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I made myself a UQP for a couple reasons. I've never had problems with splashing in the past, but with synthetic I really didn't need to worry about it. Now I have a down UQ that does not have treated down, so it's just a little safety factor. I also seem to always have a fold in my hammock that the quilt doesn't completely seal and when the wind is from the right direction it's not pleasant. I'm hoping the UQP will reduce the side effects of that. I also tend to hang my tarp on the higher side, and the wind on my backside can make for a cooler than normal night. I'm also thinking about going from a DL 1.5 hammock to a SL 1.9 and, as someone else mentioned, mosquitoes can be an issue.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have both a Kelty 12x12 which I put doors on and Grizbeaks I use with my 10x10. I still use a UQP. I am short so end up hanging close to the ground. I don't want my down goodness to sag close enough to pick up moisture from the ground.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    you guys are forgetting . . .just because you have a Winter Tarp, doesn't mean you have to pitch in battened-down storm mode. I have an OMW tarp and I could pitch it to a point where I had complete coverage and all guy points touched the ground etc. etc. etc. I don't typically do that. I like it in front porch mode. I like to see the water, trees the wild life etc. I also use the under quilt protector as a "wind block." IN addition, it does protect the underside of the expensive full length down quilt that I have. Lots of reasons for the small expense of minimal weight!

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I use one mostly in the fringe seasons for additional warmth and wind blockage.. Like others I like porch mode.

Last NEHHA winter hang we had some very unusual weather where it warmed up while there was snow on the ground. You could see a fog of condensation hanging over the ground. My UQP was soaked with condensation rising but my UQ stayed dry. Was very happy I had it that day.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Iv'e found that an UQP works well to add warmth when used as the sole source of bottom insulation down to about ....
    I've done that a few times as well. Works great in warm weather though a couple times it ended up being a mosquito collector. Loud buzzing all night and dozens of dead o es under other in the morning.

And being the type who favors view over sheltered, porch mode and an uqp works great.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I've been in a couple of heavy blowing rain storms with my HG 4 Season that I was kinda wishing I had an UQP but not since I got my Palace has it been an issue. The finish on my HG UQ's has proven to be surprisingly water resistant. Last winter when we were doing those sub zero gear tests I would have liked to had one for wind protection.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and WB Wooki
    Suspension
    AHE Cinch Buckles
    I just ordered one from 2QZQ... and I have a Superfly.

My last trip the wind was so bad it blew under my tarp and grabbed all the heat from my under-quilt. When the gusts died down I was fine. But when they picked up I could feel the air cutting through the down.

I'm adding the 6 oz so that I'm not cold again.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    My 2qzq uqp adds warmth and skeeter protection when I don't use the quilt. When I do use the quilt it protects my quilt and adds warmth. Whats not to love? I always bring it with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast