Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Wanting to start section hiking the AT

So, I've been considering for the past year starting a yearly tradition of doing a week long trip on the AT, one section at a time. I have read tons on it and am looking at which guides to buy, best route to take, etc. I'm wondering if any of you guys have done this and have any words of wisdom or links to gear you didn't have but wish you would have had. Really just looking for anything that might aid me in pulling this idea off without a hitch.

Planning on taking my nephew with me. Going in March 2015. Starting at the southern-most point. Trying to figure up how far I can go a day for 6-7 days is challenging. We are used to doing weekend trips. Nothing more than 2 nights though. All comments welcome!

Thanks!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've never done the Southern third, so this is an alternative you may consider.
    You might want to look at starting with the 100 miles within the Shenandoah National Park. It will give you a chance to work out your gear and get the legs in shape (I'm assuming you live in flat country) while in a relatively safe environment. It would be easy to extend the trip to Harper's Ferry WV or even Pine Grove PA.
    Within the SNP, the AT stays close to park roads, restaurants/supply stores every 20 miles or so, easy access area, etc. Like I said, it's safe and lots of wild life (deer, bear, turkeys, ect). Mid April through May usually is a good time.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Going to be following this thread / idea. It is unrealistic at this time to think that I could take off for 6 months or so, but one to three weeks at a time would seem to work. The problem as I see it is that you will just be getting into the hiking "zone" physically and mentally when you hang it up for the year.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    The Ga. section is as good a start as it gets. About 80 miles in Ga. with a lot of ups and downs. Everybody is different on how far they hike obviously but the trail crosses lots of roads in Ga allowing you to bail and catch a ride to town if you have any problems. You will go right through Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap on Hwy 129 at about mile 30. They are known for helping hikers "dump" excess gear. You might want to give them a call and even make that a pre-trip stop on your way to the trail head. Here is their site, http://www.mountaincrossings.com/default.asp. Keep in mind you will either have to get a shuttle to the Springer trailhead (if you plan to leave your vehicle at the state park) or hike the approach trail from Amicalola park to Springer. Bly Gap, which is the state line with NC has no road access. Last road crossing in Ga is Dicks Gap on Hwy 76. Next pickup point is in NC. Good luck with your trip. Look forward to reading your trip report.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters dbl
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    20* bag / pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    My dad has done about 85% of the AT. He did training weekends in SW Va, covering 100+ miles then went to GA for his thru attempt in 2013. He made it to Harper's Ferry by July, flipped and went to Maine . Unfortunately he took an impromptu swim on his 3rd day out, screwed up his knee and lost his tent poles. After a month of recovery, he went back to Harper's Ferry and made it to the 1/2 way point by late October. This year he tried to finish, starting at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in April and made it to the Massachusetts/Vermont border, before calling it quits in early July.

He started doing 8-10 miles a day, though he went nuts his first day out from Springer and did 15! By the time he was in Wva, he was regularly doing 12-15. He's planning on finishing with my son by doing a section or 2 each summer. In Boy Scouts I did a 50 miler every winter break and I think that'd be a good starting point, depending on fitness level, maybe budget 10 mile days? Mountain Crossings is a really cool place.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    Assuming I am doing this correctly, here is a link to a color map of the AT in Georgia, which, as Deadwood said, is over 80 miles, including the approach trail: http://www.mountaintopga.com/fullpan...ap-profile.pdf
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Good thing about doing a 6-7 day trip in Ga is that you have Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap right in the middle of it. So, you take 3 days of food to start out with, and buy 3 days worth there.

Are you married to northbound? Personally, Amicalola is a great place to finish. Great safe place to leave your car and get shuttled, coke machines at the finish, the arch to go through to cap the moment you finish (seems a bit blah for a start), and of course - its downhill the last 4 miles of the hike in. Could even stay at the Lodge and enjoy dinner and the bar there at the end of your hike before you head home. Just a thought.

If you go Sobo, I'd start at Dicks Creek Gap. That's about 76 miles from there to Amicalola, or a little less than 13 miles per day for 6 full days. Very doable, especially if you've got 1 or 2 half days in there as well. The next paved road trailhead is Unicoi Gap 16 miles AT south and would be only 59 miles to Amicalola - less than 10m per day.

To me, Springer Mt might be where I would start a thru hike, but not a section hike. Nor would I care to end a hike there where I then had to hike back the way I came to the car or shuttle. And that's another thing, I'd rather have my car waiting for me at the end of the hike and get shuttled to the starting point, and Amicalola is a much better place to do that, even if there is a fee for it. My 2 cents.

I've hiked Ga both ways, so let me know if you need any details as you get closer to making them.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check out Whiteblaze.net for all things AT. You will love it, have a great hike!

(And, I went NOBO and loved it, and you can also ship a resupply to Neel Gap, and there is a great hostel at ****'s Creek Gap 1/2 mile west of the trail head, and I highly recommend Joyce and Sally's shuttle service!)

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I agree that having your car at the end is best for a section hike. In my experience, it is easier to get a shuttle from your car to a trail head than the other way around. I've been rather blessed so far finding rides, but having a car at the end is the way to go.

I started at Springer Mountain this April and made it through GA pretty quick. Your plan seems very doable. Once you make it past the GA line almost immediately you start going uphill. I'm in NC right now and hope to get to Fontana Dam by the end of the year. I'll likely do the Smokies through Hot Springs over spring break. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've done videos on my trips so far.

I recommend the AT Guide by AWOL and I really like the pocket profiles by Antigravity Gear.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Curmudgeon View Post
    Assuming I am doing this correctly, here is a link to a color map of the AT in Georgia, which, as Deadwood said, is over 80 miles, including the approach trail: http://www.mountaintopga.com/fullpan...ap-profile.pdf
    That's a nice map u wouldn't happen to have more links for the rest of the trail would you?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast