Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat

Any reviews/feedback on vented overcovers?

Now that some vented overcovers have been out in the field, do any of their owners have any feedback on them? Thanks.

Images
    I thought NightHawks were still 2-3 weeks away? Are you talking about some other Dreamhammock?
    I've been venting my Winter Gnome since the day I got it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    OutandBack,
    A vented overcover is a rather recent option for current models: http://www.dream-hammock.com/VentedOvercover.html. I see 6 or so of them among the Recent Photos on the DH site. But as PapaSmurf notes on the option page, he does not expect to know its effectiveness until colder weather. I was just hoping to get some feedback from early users because that could be relevant to the nighthawk's vent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sagamore View Post
    OutandBack,
    A vented overcover is a rather recent option for current models: http://www.dream-hammock.com/VentedOvercover.html. I see 6 or so of them among the Recent Photos on the DH site. But as PapaSmurf notes on the option page, he does not expect to know its effectiveness until colder weather. I was just hoping to get some feedback from early users because that could be relevant to the nighthawk's vent.
    Thanks for the info. I was not up to date on the new bugnetted vent option Papa was offering.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I will have one out in the field next weekend and will let you know. It's probably only going down to the 40s but could make it into the 30s here. I have a thunderbird retrofitted with a vented cover.
    Last edited by Suede; 10-20-2014 at 17:20.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies

Thunderbird/Nighthawk over cover testing.

This past weekend, I used the vented over cover for my Thunderbird (similar to the Nighthawk in terms of sq/in of netting at head end). PapaSmurf retrofitted my TB with it this past week, replacing my original over cover. It wasn't ideal testing conditions for a top cover as it only got down to about 36* the first night but the air was moist and I could see my breath.

When zipped up, I could feel a slight breeze, or at least air motion particularly when I moved around. This was not a bad thing, as I got fresh air but my face did not get cold. The "indoor" temp stayed around 8* warmer than outside (had 2 thermometers with a +- of about a degree or so. I aroma of geese was all that much stronger too. :-)

I think for winter use it will be the right amount of venting. It will be going with me to the NJ winter hang in Jan when it will get a full-on test, but also hoping for something else in-between.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thank you. I cant wait to get my nighthawk

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    Thanks, Suede. My new Dangerbird is now in the hands of the USPS, to arrive here on Wednesday, so it's just a bit late to be asking Papa Smurf to make one more change! ;-) This DB doesn't have the vented overcover but I'm confident that I can leave the overcover partially unzipped, with no net, and not worry about bugs in the wintertime. I'm so looking forward to meeting this Dangerbird in a couple of days.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Hey can someone share thoughts on this with me? If you are planning on using the oracover in cold weather (which you normally would- versus the bugnet) then why not just unzip it some at the top? If you wanted to, you could just attach a small piece of velcro to it and the unzip both sides, roll it down8-10 inches and fix it in place. I live in the south east (Tennessee) and when the weather is cold enough for the oracover, it's too cold for the bugs

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sagamore View Post
    Thanks, Suede. My new Dangerbird is now in the hands of the USPS, to arrive here on Wednesday, so it's just a bit late to be asking Papa Smurf to make one more change! ;-) This DB doesn't have the vented overcover but I'm confident that I can leave the overcover partially unzipped, with no net, and not worry about bugs in the wintertime. I'm so looking forward to meeting this Dangerbird in a couple of days.
    That is how I used mine last winter and it works fine partially unzipped.

Quote Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
    Hey can someone share thoughts on this with me? If you are planning on using the oracover in cold weather (which you normally would- versus the bugnet) then why not just unzip it some at the top? If you wanted to, you could just attach a small piece of velcro to it and the unzip both sides, roll it down8-10 inches and fix it in place. I live in the south east (Tennessee) and when the weather is cold enough for the oracover, it's too cold for the bugs

Dave
    the reason I went for the netting at the top is actually not so much for bugs, but to "slow down" the air exchange the same as a bug net does act as a partial wind barrier. You could of course do what you are proposing by unzipping it just a bit.
    John aka Suede

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast