First, let me thank everyone for the wealth of information here. I've read so much I've gotten a little ahead of myself and feel a bit overwhelmed. So it's time to step back, explain my story, and ask for some guidance on getting started with a proper first hammock. I know & I'm sorry... another "Help me pick my first hammock" thread!

I was given a Byer of Maine (Amazonas) Traveller as a gift a couple YEARS ago at Christmas. As with many gifts that are cool at the time, but not immediately enjoyed, it found it's way into one of my many totes of camping gear to be forgotten until the just other day. After FINALLY getting a day in the North East this year that was comfortably above zero, I "found" this hammock while digging through camping gear to give my brain a little taste of spring. This hammock has an overall length of 120" (actual fabric length of only 84") and a width of just 58". It doesn't have single gathered loop ends like some of Byer's newer models but instead has multiple cords on each end joined together in a woven loop.

Using an odd assortment of supplies found in my garage I (safely) hung the hammock and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by it's relative comfort as, like many, my only (bad) hammock experiences had been with the open rope/spreader bar styles. It became readily apparent, however, that this hammock is not a good fit for me over any length of time. I'm a wee bit too big. I still was impressed enough that want to explore this "hammock thing" a little further!

I'm a sizable guy at 6'5" and 235#. I'm not looking for a full fledged camping setup (like the Blackbird XLC) for my first hammock. I would, however, like to get a quality first one that would be good to carry in the car, my kayak, on day hikes, and similar "weight isn't that big an issue" outings. Based on my size, and reading many different threads, I'd guess that most would suggest getting a gathered end hammock at least 10', but probably more appropriately 11', long... correct?

In looking at many different hammocks I'm fairly surprised that between 10' and 11' long weight ratings can vary widely from 200# to 500#. Given the likely use(s) of this first hammock, I would imagine that my wife will insist on sharing sometimes (i.e occasionally using it together). She's 5'2" and, while I don't dare list her weight here for fear of significant and permanent bodily harm should she find this post , I think I can safely say she's between 50% and 60% of my weight. In the "sharing" scenario that would put the load between 352# & 376#.

Width seems to be a much more subjective topic. I did read, among others, the thread comparing the ENO vs Grand Trunk vs Kammok hammocks. It was interesting (and unfortunate) to see that dimensions aren't always measured consistently so that listed specs are sometimes off. Listed dimensions for some of the ones I found between 10'-11' long and rated for 400#+ are:

ENO DoubleNest: 112" x 74"
Kammock Roo: 120" x 67"
Grand Trunk Double: 128" x 78"
Trek Light Double: 120" x 78"

So in trying not to have to look through the products of every single vendor listed/mentioned on HF (both "big" brand and cottage), and greatly valuing personal experience over just numbers on a page, are there models/companies I'm missing? Are there any hammocks that folks have found to work better than others given my needs? My budget is somewhat "flexible". Many thanks!