Long story short: our family just moved to Cambodia for some humanitarian work, and we're trying to find a way to get back into the outdoors. We purchased a 2003 double cab Tacoma 4x4 to help with that. My son and I brought our hammocks, WBBB and a Hennessy Cub. Some places have abundant trees, but others no so much.

Finding a spot that allows us to hang one side from the truck, and the other to a tree should be easy enough. But, I'd like to try and think of a way to hang the hammocks only from the truck. Weird I know, but I want to attempt a good solution. And if that's just not possible, then I'd like to figure out a good support leg for the side of the hammock that isn't attached to the truck.

I'm planning on having a custom roof rack made, so I have some flexibility with that. Labor and supplies are cheap here. And I don't mind having something coming up out of the rear hitch. I don't have many options regarding the truck bed itself, as I have a motorized fiberglass bed cover. I'm planning on putting a mattress of some sort in there with a mosquito net draped over the whole back end for the wife and our youngest kiddo.

I've searched around, and I'm finding some mixed info on what the stock roof rack can hold. I'd prefer to use the stock rails, rather than screw something new into the roof.

Any help in thinking through this?! I'm not an engineer by any means, but would love to work at creating a great way for our family to easily escape the chaos of living in a 3rd world country . Thanks! I'll provide any other info that would be helpful!