Well, it is decided.
As of 05:30 this morning the site is the Wise shelter and the date is Jan 29, 30 & 31.

Let the "Real" planning begin!!

For those who are new to this event:
I do not mean to deter you, just make you aware so you can prepare: IT WILL BE COLD! It May be VERY COLD! There will be wind; there may be A LOT of WIND! There may even be show, possibly a LOT of snow. Most of the social activates take place around the fire in front of the shelter, there is minimal protection from the wind there.

Hanging sites abound around the shelter, so there is the opportunity to be picky, though you may have to walk a bit to get to / from the social aspect at the shelter.

There is a very nice privy there, bring your own TP.

The shelter sleeps 6, but so far the only one to sleep there did so due to a midnight suspension failure. And that is one reason we have the to do at a shelter, “Just in case”

Groundlings are welcome to join us!!

On Saturday PM 01/30/10 there is a Pot Luck cook out where everyone shares special treats, like deer bacon & homemade stew.

The rest of your meals are up to you!

Usually someone goes for a day hike or 2. There are several trails to explore, most lead to GREAT views. But leave time to get back for the potluck, last year it started around 3PM & being hikers, the food was all gone at 3:01 PM Just kidding, it did go quickly, but there was still ample food after 4PM

The hike in from the parking lot is about 1 mile on mostly level logging road. On the way you cross 2 streams, which are easy enough to cross. Both years I have made it, I have gone back to my car for something, so it’s an easy walk. Better directions will be posted as we near the date, and there is a map somewhere here on HF if you want to see.

Alcohol is allowed, but please practice moderation!! This is NOT a drinking party!

In past years there has been extra hanging set ups if you are ill equipped, or a groundling looking to try out hanging. And for the most part, if you need help, just ASK! That is why this hangout was started, so that we may learn from each other, and share our collective experiences!

Some things you will see: January of this year there were at least 40 hangers, and 40 DIFFERENT set ups. Under quilts from custom made to store bought to home made. Pads that have included a trucker’s window shade. Tarps of all sizes colors & shapes. Almost as many different stoves. Clothing choices that ran from a crazy guy wearing: short sleeved tee, long sleeved tee, fleece vest, nylon vest, a kilt & panty hose (sometimes I put on a wool hat & gloves), to several wearing down quilts as parkas & a few looking nearly like the Michelin Man (at least to me). There were at least 3 Pulks (camping sleds) there last year.

So, come one come all!!

Some items needed / suggested for the cook out:
Sausages (Hot dogs, Bratts, Metts, etc.)
Buns.
Side dishes (Cole slaw, Stew, Macaroni salad, etc.)
Condiments (relish, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, onions, etc)
Hardware (plates, knives, forks, spoons, paper towels, trash bags, etc.)
Drinks or drink mix.
Desserts

Hint: If it can’t be heated (Like coleslaw) or even if it can, bring the food in an insulated cooler, to keep it from freezing.

Last year firewood was brought, but it was a strain to bring from the parking lot to the shelter, so that is up to you. Please, if you are in a quarantined area (As I am) do not bring firewood.

If this is your first winter camping trip, bring more of nearly everything than you think you will need; fuel, clothing, food, etc. Not to say overdo it, but as I say at the start, it will be cold & windy. Alcohol stoves DO work, so if that is what you have, bring it, we will help you make it work.

If you could post if you are coming & what days & what you will bring to the potluck, that would be great. ie.: Friday Sat & Sun, I’m bringing potato salad & forks.

Have fun guys!!

BTW: I now have a 3% chance of going, which is up from less than Zero % of a few weeks ago.