Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Top Quilt Outer Fabric - 15D Ripstop Nylon vs. 20D Polyester

I'm torn. If I understand correctly (which opinions seem to vary) 15D ripstop nylon as an outer TQ shell will come out ahead on durability over a 20D poly(?). On the other hand, the 20D poly is more UV resistant and less likely to absorb humidity/dew/etc. (?)

Is one or the other more breathable? Is it desirable for it to be breathable in an outer shell?

I'm new to the hanging game, but have a bit of experience camping. Never had nor know much about TQ's though. In my mind it would seem I would want to go with the most wind/moisture resistant fabric and durability taking more of a back seat since a TQ "shouldn't" see all that much "wear and tear" laying inside a hammock(?)

At the moment, I've been leaning toward a 20D poly outer and a 15D ripstop nylon as the inner fabric. The 10D nylon would likely be a little more "silky", but if I'm under a 20degree TQ... I ain't laying in there in the buff. With John's on it doesn't seem the fabric texture on the inner fabric would make a whole lot of difference and durabiity would be key(?)

Weight is not a big consideration for me. If I'm lugging around a 20degree TQ and cold weather gear... I ain't going very far, anyway. ;-)

What say the guru's?

**Edited: Or am I missing the plot altogether? 20D poly being a heavier fabric it should wear similarly to, or possibly even better than, the lighter dennier (15D) ripstop?
    Last edited by Yarome; 08-31-2019 at 21:59.

• + New Posts