Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
Pippi, that hanging tent is ground luxury but remember you have most of what you need to go to ground with a hammock that has a built in bug net. That “tent” still needs supports so you would have your hiking poles. That tent requires a pad for structure so you would have a sleeping pad. That tent also requires a tarp so you would have a tarp. To go to ground with your hammock you just lay some ground sheet down (plastic, Tyvek, or whatever you normally use as a ground sheet, put your pad/hammock on that. Use your hiking poles to hold up your tarp and the hammocks bugnet (keeps it off your face). You’ll have to guy off the hiking poles because they are not trees; but it works. I apologize if this is “mansplaining” but some people don’t think about using their hammock on the ground. It’s not ideal, but it is possible.

Hammockastent1.jpg
Thanks! I'm always looking for ways to make the two interchangeable without adding too much weight. I did notice that the system is a little heavy. There are just so many areas out here on the West Coast with little to no trees. I did get the tensa setup, but still researching even better ways to do this. I'd like to do a through hike one day and want to be prepared for areas like the desert. I do work in the construction industry, so I'm going to pick up a piece of Tyvek and work with that for a bit. I just don't normally carry the items to go to ground, so I need to figure out a good setup. I don't carry a pad and I don't carry poles. I could always be swayed if it has a big advantage to make things versatile though. I have time. I probably won't set out for at least another 3 years when the kids graduate high school.