Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images

Arrow The Skookum Stealth Hammock & Tarp -DIY

So here is the deal....

I've been eye-balling hammocks (Speer, HH, Clark) for going on 3 years now. The first time I saw them I knew I had to have one but I don't do things on a whim. I had to do my research. I really wanted a Clark NX-200 hammock but the cost kept me from committing.

Then I saw the Warbonnet Blackbird. Daddy Like! So I started doing more research specifically on the WBBB. It lead me here to the HF's.

Then one day Sclittlefield aka Backwoods Daydreamer Gear posted a "Group Buy" on 1.1 Camo Ripstop. Right then and there I decided to try a DIY hammock & tarp project. Scott was extremely cool and helpful in getting me kick started.

I read & read & read some more. How to sew, how to do a bobbin (whats that?), how to whipp your ends, top cover, bug nets, whoopie slings, this system, that system, how to do this, how to do that, I watch hours of video (shug seems t stand out here, that cat is silly cool) My mind was spinning with options and ideas.

I finally decided to go big or stay home (i hear gram counters gasping). So with Scott's enthusiastic permission I decided to try a knock-off of the "Winter Dream" tarp from Backwoods Daydreamer Gear. For the Hammock I wanted to go with a whipped ended hammock with bugnet, tie-outs and top-cover.

I knew it was an over the top, overly ambitious undertaking but that's my personality.

Keep in mind that I had never sewed a stitch or even looked at a sewing machine until a week ago....

Also keep in mind that the hammock isn't done (I spent the night in it 3 days ago) and I am still working on the top cover and bug-netting. The suspension system & structural ridge-line will shortly be replaced with grey amsteel and tree straps.

Drum roll please......

Meet The Skookum Stealth - Hammock & Tarp. (still under construction finished pics to come)

Fully deployed

Wings Clipped Back

Storm/Privacy Mode with side wall tie-outs deployed..

(you can see that the side wall tie-outs are deployed on one side to give you a feel for with and without).

(Don't make fun of my stitches

Finished hammock size is 120 x 65". Ridgeline is 101".
    Finished tarp size base 13' x 11' . Ridgeline is 11'.

Was it easy? Hell No! I studied you guy's work for hours and hours....I wrestled with slick nylon for a week, hours on end. But I did it!!!!!!!

Thanks for indulging me bro's! See you on the trail!

-Skookum

PS: HUGE THANKS TO ALL THE GREAT PEOPLE ON THIS SITE THAT HELPED AND INSPIRED ME !

sclittlefield, Knotty, Shug, Ramblinrev, Warbonnet guy, Risk, Just Jeff's, fin, angrysparrow, _Tinker_, Blackbishop, gargoyle, headchange4u, .........Sorry for all of those that I am forgetting and there are quite a few.
    Last edited by Skookum; 03-20-2010 at 23:25. Reason: Pics?

• + New Posts