Just finished my Climashield APEX 5 oz/sq yd synthetic under quilt for my Ridge Runner hammock.

Took it out for a spin in the local park where it was 45 degrees with a constant 10 mph wind. I was very comfy with only a lightweight fleece. I think I could have gone even colder (despite the fact that I sleep cold). The 5 oz Climashield is rated at 30 degrees which is the bottom temperature you can survive at.

The fabric is 1.0 oz. HyperD diamond ripstop nylon in Fuchsia and Hunter Green from Ripstop By The Roll as is the Climashield. This way I can blend in with the green side out or announce my presence with the pink side.

It's 75" x 40" and has 1/4" grosgrain loops at each of the 4 corners. On the head end, I added mini-biners. On the foot end, I added about 6-8" of shock cord and then mini-biners. It stuffs into a 19" round by 22" long fuchsia sack I made with leftover material (to distinguish it from all the other rolled items I have).

I'm surprised how well it wraps around the RR and conforms to the shape. I sort of would have liked it to be about 2" wider on either side but I think if I did it wouldn't fit so well. I expected it to come up over the edge, especially with the cat cut of the hammock but I didn't see that. I could add shock cord on the head end but I like that the insulation comes over my head. After giving it a real test in the wilds, I might add a few inches but I might not bother. I also expected to need some weird shape since the RR has cat cuts and the spreader bars are 40" and 29" but a rectangular UQ fits surprisingly well.

I cut the fabric out by clipping both pieces together so they would be the same size. I then sewed them all around leaving a 10" gap at the foot. I then sewed the Climashield to the fabric leaving the same 10" gap. It was pretty easy to sew the insulation (on top) because I only had 2 pieces to sew together. I then pulled the fabric through the hole and stitched the hole closed. Added 2" long loops of 1/4" grosgrain on each corner. The sewing went very quickly. The most difficult part was cutting the fabric and insulation because I have no place to lay it out flat but was using a 2' x 4' table which made the cutting take forever.

I'm surprised how thin it actually is because I expected it to puff out more. When I made my down TQ and UQ they were enormously puffier (but then they were designed as zero degree quilts). It doesn't compress as well as down (but I expected that) but I'm satisfied with how well it packs.

I'm going to declare this project a win.

IMG_9424.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9430.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9433.jpeg