Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Newbie with a question regarding designated backcountry sites

Hi Everyone,

What a fun place. I have been backpacking for a long time, most principally on the AT and in the Smokies. I just got back from the Smokies in fact, I got to visit one of my favorite spots, Poke Patch, anyone been there? Now I am back in Manhattan at work but my mind, heart and soul are still on the trail; I bet there are a lot of people in this forum who know that feeling.

Well while surfing around I found whiteblaze.net and then the hammock forum. I knew very little about hammocks, I have always been a tent camper, but this hanging around in the trees stuff really has me enthralled. I can't wait to dive in and try it.

There are so many great hammocks to choose from and I have been reading for hours here on the forum learning about different viewpoints. I am considering the HH Explorer Ultralight because I am 6'1" and about 170 lbs. I also think I would prefer to sleep flat or have that option. I am not sure I could sleep on my back in the bannana pose? My wife sews very well, so I could make a hammock but I think the HH Explorer Ultralight seems like it has it all for not too much money, I might benefit from having a hammock that someone has already figured everything out, other than reinventing the wheel.

One Question:
    Is there any problem with camping in areas other then designated backcountry campsites? Has anyone ever had any trouble from the parks with hammock camping?

Thanks,
    NYC Hiker

I look forward to learning more about hammocks and hammock camping.
    Last edited by NYC_Hiker; 09-05-2007 at 10:01.

• + New Posts