So...I've been reading up alot on DIY stuff. I have no money, time or space to actually realize my own DIY fantasies currently...but the creative ideas can't be stopped.

These forums are great for charging folks up for wanting lots of stuff...so many options...so many different things that make the hanging experience personalized and awesome.

I've noticed so many posts about folks that own multiple hammocks. HH. WBBB. DD hammocks. Claytors. Clarks. Each hammock has it's own set of features that really suck us in. I personally really like the ability of the DD, Hammock Bliss and Clark hammocks to be flipped over to become "lounging" or winter hammocks (due to no permanent SRL) as my wife much prefers to lie in a lounging hammock more so than a purely camping hammock sometimes.

This lead me to wonder about my own personal "perfect" hammock. What features from all the commercially manufactured hammocks do I want for my hanging experiences? If I could only own one hammock, what features would I absolutely want to be incorporated? I thought this exercise might be useful to the community as a whole. Maybe listing personal preferences would help to develop the next best hammock. I know a lot of the cottage industry folks watch these forums and DIYers love challenges! Why not give them all some new material to think about!?!?

So, please post your list of features that make your perfect hammock. I'll start!

1. Channel - I like the gathered end hammocks such as the DD or Clark line with channels that can open up in bivy mode to lie flat. (I don't want to go to ground, but I like the feature just in case)

2. Attachement for adjustable ridgeline - I like the ridgelines for consistent hangs, but I really like the ability to flip the hammock when no net is needed to become a lounger. I imagine a system where there are attachments for an adjustable ridgeline inside the bugnet, (that still extend when in bivy mode, see number 1.) I don't know if this has ever been done or if it is even feasible..but it sounds good to me!

3. Shelf - I don't own a WBBB yet, but I can tell you the most desirable feature for me is the shelf. A place to throw your stuff out of the way..yes please! I would also like the space to be usable when the hammock is flipped...perhaps a reversible pocket where the shelf would be in flip mode so I can drop a book and other stuff in while lounging...

4. Bugnet - double zip and store pocket similar to the 2QZQ mod 4 for Hennessy models. This way I can use the adjustable ridgeline without the net if I want.

5. Flippable to be lounging hammock - mainly for the wife, but I like to lounge occasionally in the park.

6. Tie outs - asym for the hammock and also for the bug net, similar to the clark or DD styles (mainly used for bivy mode, as the adjustable ridgeline would keep the net off when suspended)

7. Double layer for pad - I want an UQ, but my need to be prepared for anything makes me really want to have options for going to ground. I get along fine with my Exped Synmat 7 pad currently, and like the idea of using it in the air or on the ground.

8. Velcro or Omnitape for pad flap - either would be fine for me, but I like keeping the layers together.

9. Pockets to store tie outs - I dislike my tie outs on my HH when stuffing. I wish I had some kind of pocket to stow them in before I packed my hammock up.

10. Snakeskins with pockets for suspension - I often have wished my snakeskins had a pocket somewhere on them where I could fold up and store my suspension lines. I usually wrap the skins up with my straps, but it just looks so messy. I figured a couple pockets would be useful to roll or fold up the straps and tuck them in before folding up the skins for stowing.

11. Adjustable strap suspension - I think whoopies are cool, but I've had too much trouble in the past finding trees skinny enough for my tree straps. I prefer the straps and rings or cinch buckle suspension.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a gram weenie, but I'm not against keeping it light. These features would be the bee's knees for me, but if they can happen while keeping the rig light, might as well add the rest of the bee! Does anyone have any ideas about how to incorporate all these features into one hammock? If you think you could make this hammock ,let me know! I might be able to commission :-)

What is your perfect hammock?