DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    3-Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp Guidance Humbly Requested!

I'm need of advice from folks who have actually hung in the woods. Although I'm new to hammocks as of October, I have been sleeping in my DIY hammock with a Stormcrow underquilt for 3 months straight but have done so in my basement (my back has never felt better, but that's worth a whole other post). I have yet to get outside b/c I have no tarp and in Portland OR rain is constant in the winter.

I want to buy a winter season tarp so I can get out in the woods ASAP. That means constant rain, rarely a down pour, and usually not windy. We don't get below 30 degrees very often either. I'm left wondering mostly about size and if pull-outs should be a priority. I've settled on SpinnUL b/c of the constant wet my tarp will be subject to.

Pull outs seem nice to keep things roomy and having a big tarp is appealing b/c once I set up I'll be under it until it's time to start walking again. The rain is incessant. I’m not super concerned about weight as I can only take short trips in the winter and most of those are one-nighters. Money isn't an issue either (I sold my tent.

I've been reading about tarps a ton and watched Shug's videos (the best!) but just can't settle on a tarp. OES MacCat Ultra is winning right now. Is that too much tarp?

All advice welcome. I’m itchin’ to make a purchase! Thanks!
    -Christian
    Last edited by ToeJam; 01-18-2011 at 13:23.

• + New Posts