Not sure if this should go here or in the off topic DIY section...Moderators feel free to move if nesc. I feel that it is backpacking/manmmock related and covers the "ten essentials" in a very relative manor.

Along with be a backpacker I am a survival nut, have been since I was about 8 when I built my first survival kit. I am not one of those crazy extremist who has an arsenal of weapons and ten years of food stored in my basement. But I do believe in being prepared. And I practice my survival skills a lot. It has nothing to do with my BOB (Bug Out Bag) and is completely separate from that.

This is a mini survival kit I made some time back and have one in each of the families vehicles and they never leave them (except now but will be returned as soon as I am done with this post )I thought I would share as it brings on multi faceted backpacking/hammocking/survival related items and topics. Thanks for letting me share.

It is a Omega climbing caribiner (not sure of the rating I have no idea what the funny numbers mean.) that I have braided 10ft of 550 (mil spec 7 strand) cord around. Then hanging off the biner is:

Tonto survival knife (soon to be replaced with Rana neck knife built by our very own Buenos)
Button Compass
Ferocious Striker
Magnesium rod 3x1/2
Mini LED light
Super loud whistle (inside is a tinder quick fire starter)
BCB/SAS emergency signal mirror
BCB/SAS emergency saw...wrapped in 550 cord to use as handles.

So this mini kit pretty much covers the essentials. The 550 cord can be gutted to give you 70ft of more cordage plus the 10ft sheath.
You can signal using various tools, build a fire, build a shelter, gather/harvest food, ....SURVIVE.

Kit assembled

The items individually

Close up of the whistle w/tinder quick (so you can "picture" the compartment)

Braided Binner

Knife