So as the title indicates I finally got my new older style BMBH out this weekend at the group hand in Valens, Ontario. There is absolutely no other way to say this than I am a convert. I will likely never go back to my ENO or my BB.

The overall craftsmanship of the hammock was top notch, you could tell there was alot of pride put into it. I can say this with confidence because you dont really know whats in a product untill you start taking it apart. All that said there is always room for improvement, so I have to admit I did make some modifications. Before we get to the mods a little more praise for the Jacks.

The lay truly is flat! I was skeptical when I got it thinking there was no way; but its ture, you do need a pillow to sleep comfortably. Now I am a bigger guy and am slightly over the listed weight limit for the hammock. There was no popping of stitches, or ripping at all and the bars held up with no visible signs of wear or stress. So Jacks I think you can bump that up .

My BMBH was the older Omni tape style, which for me was goin to be an annoyance. I do a lot warmer weather camping and I am also up several times a night. The sound of that velcro was goin to get me voted off the island. So I replaced it with ykk #4 coil zipper on the two short sides and one long side, then permanantly fixed the other long side to the hammock. FYI for anyone attempting this for yourself, Stretch Stich, the upper curve of the hammock changes and stretches when weighted. Finally, and not after giving them a fair chance, I replaced the stock suspension with whoopie slings. The Tri-glide and webbing suspension that came with the BMBH was certainly strong enough and relatively easy to use, the whoopie slings are easier still and can span a much larger gap (or atleast mine can).

As reported by many and even explained to me by the Jacks there is some shoulder pinch. This is easily remedied by placing your arms over your head or sleeping on your side. Truth is though its not enough to really be an annoyance and after a min or two it is actually quite comfortable to have that support behind your shoulders.

All in all my hat is off to you Jacks.

Pros: Truly flat lay, very very comfortable
Lightweight and compactable
Absolutley no hyperextension of the knee
Open and spacious, unlike my eno there are no floppy sides to cause clausterphobia

Cons: NONE but there are some suggestions for improvement.

Listed it will accomodate a person 6'3", I am 5'11" and could feel my feet and head touching the top and bottom of the hammock.
Would like to see heavier duty spreader bars (possibly even longer ones, to completely eliminate the shoulder pinch) and rings. Again being a little heavy for the hammock and not being a gram weiny, I would happily trade off weight for peace of mind. A minor increase in the thickness of the bars and rings would make for large increase in the weight capacity.

Anyway for anyone that might be on the fence, I whole heartedly recommend this hammock.

Ryvr