Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite a while, but decided to post finally.

My wife and I are dedicated ultralighters (7# baseweight when NOT using hammocks). We tried using Hennesy Ultralight Backpacker hammocks a few times, and find them very comfy, with great bug protection (very important to us here in SW Michigan).

BUT: For 2 people who share gear and sleep together, we just can't make hammocks work for us because just 1 full hammock setup (Hennesy ULB , Jacks R better retro tarp for Hennesy hammocks, JRB nest, JRB topquilt) weighs more than our 2 person tarp, bug net, and single 2 person quilt. By the time we each take one hammock setup, we've over doubled the weight and volume of our shelter compared to the tarp, bug-net, single quilt, and 3/4 length 3/8" foam pads. Yeah, the hammock is considerably more comfy than much of the ground we find, but that's where we find the convenience ends for 2 people sharing all gear. We just haven't been able to convince ourselves that the comfort outweighs the significant weight and bulk savings we get with our tarp, not to mention warmth, covered square footage, and warmth (WHEN SHARING ALL GEAR).

Anyway, I just can't justify keeping the (very expensive) hammocks. I can see the efficacy for solo folks, but for two?

Before we bail and go back to ground permanently, anyone have comments and/or suggestions?? It's kind of hard to completely abandon the comfort and overall niftyness of hammocks...