Let me know if I'm on the right track here, HF members. I hate wasting rope/materials on not properly understanding things, which is a common problem for me.

Right now I have a Funky Forest Tarp and I'm using cheap nylon rope from Home Depot for my tarp ridgeline. The tarp hangs under the ridgeline, and I like it that way because the tarp has three loops on the ridgeline and I run the ridgeline rope right through them with Amsteel Blue prusiks on the ends to tension the tarp. I am also paranoid about running the ridgeline under the tarp since it seems like that will cause unwanted friction that will cause wear on the tarp at the most important place (the ridgeline).

But I don't want to make a ridgeline just for the Funky Forest Tarp. I want a ridgeline that will work for my next tarp (as yet unpurchased). Therefore I have ordered 180 ft. of 2.2 mm Zing-it, and am going to trade some of that to Avenger for 1.75 mm Zing-it. I'm going to make a 30' single-line tarp ridgeline just like http://whoopieslings.com sells.

Right now I'm inclined to use the 2.2 mm Zing-it for the tarp ridgeline, and I'll use the 1.75 mm Zing-It to make soft shackle prusiks to attach to ridgeline. The only reason I'm considering 2.2 mm for the ridgeline is that I have read that prusiks work better when the prusik is smaller diameter than the rope to which you will attach. Then again, I have also read that you could attach 1.75 mm Zing-it prusiks to 1.75 mm Zing-it rope and there won't be a problem once the coating wears off a bit. I err on the side of caution.

I've also ordered the Nite Ize Knot Bone for one end of the ridgeline and the Nite Ize small Figure 9 for the adjustable end of the ridgeline. I'll make soft shackle prusiks as my first choice, but I also ordered S-biners in case I decide to use those to attach tarp to standard prusiks. Then again, I might try Klemheist knots to attach tarp to ridgeline. With the stuff I have ordered, my possibilities are endless. What I don't use for this hammock, I can always use on another hammock.

I was originally planning on converting my Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip to whoopie sling suspension with separate tarp suspension. However, I'm glad I have another hammock system (Byer Moskito with Funky Forest Tarp) to experiment on before I go converting my Hennessy.

I love my Hennessy all-in-one system, but a year from now, I might be way beyond that and looking to sell it so I can upgrade my tarp, hammock, or get a UQ or TQ. I figure my Hennessy will move much faster when it comes time to sell it if it's closer to factory spec. Noobs might not want a separate tarp suspension.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to a) getting a better tarp suspension, and b) preserving my options for future tarps and c) not wasting money on things that are only good for my current setup? Your comments are always appreciated.