WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First DIY Hammock - Lessons Learned

Completed my first DIY hammock today. I have been contemplating and strategizing about it for several weeks now. But this morning, I got up and just knew that today was the day.

I have been agonizing over the rolled edge hems. My 'perfectionist' tendencies were telling me that I should get a rolled hem presser foot attachment and spend some time learning to use it or to just get ready to spend a lot of time measuring out and using pins to get everything just right.

Well, this morning I got up and thought I would try my luck at making rolled hems 'by hand' by making a few stuff sacks. All went well with the stuff sacks, so I decided to move on to the hammock.

The hammock is for my SO and is loosely patterned after my WB Traveler and the plans posted previously by Knotty, as well as info I have picked up by reading what others have done.

It is a double layered, gathered end hammock with an opening on one side for a pad, if the SO wants it.

I'll be ordering the components for the suspension today. Trying to decide whether I want to order already completed Whoopies, or try my hand at some.

Pics show the rolled hems, the two layers with hems done, the layers together with the opening showing, the endchannel, a couple of pics of the hammock hanging on the patio (with paracord just to see the drape) and a pic of the hammock in the matching stuff sack.

My SO is delighted and excited about having her own hammock and I am pretty pleased at the outcome.

The main lesson that I learned by doing this project that I want to pass on to all those out there that are contemplating a DIY projects also is to just get started.

I was scared to death that I would mess up the rolled edge hems and that caused me to delay this project for quite a while. After watching Ramblinrev's videos and 'practicing' on some stuff sacks, I was ready to go. Just wish now that I hadn't put it off for more than a week.

Thanks to all of those out there that have posted the details of their DIY projects that have help me with mine!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts