Attention all gram weenies. Here is proof that winter hammock camping can qualify as ULTRALIGHT. Here is my setup.

I use a down mummy bag pulled peapod style around my hammock. This works for me down to 5 degrees, with a cuben vapor barrie liner and some clothing on top of the VBL, inside the bag. Here goes.

Bag: Sierra Designs Nitro 15 down mummy. Footbox zipper allows the peapod use. Nice! 34 ounces.

Hammock -- Grand Trunk Nano 7 with whoopies and a fixed structural ridgeline made of zing-it 6.3 ounces

Tree straps -- one 10 footer and one 6 footer with an amsteel extension for big trees total 4.43 ounces.

Tarp -- zpacks cuben fiber hammock tarp with doors. Weight shown here includes 8 guylines, continuous ridgeline and 4 carbon fiber stakes 11.5 ounces, including cuben stuff sacks for the tarp and the stakes.

cuben fiber vapor barrier liner for the bag, from zpacks, 1.8 ounces. This is vitally important for maximizing warmth in an ultralight setup and also for keeping sweat vapor out of the down bag, which adds weight each day and subtracts warmth. I sleep inside the vbl wearing just smartwool longjohn top and bottoms. I put my down jacket inside the sleeping bag but on top of the VBL, almost like a mini quilt above the vbl to add more loft warmth in the bag.

Not counted in this weight are my neck gaiter and blackrock down hat, since I would be carrying them anyway to wear in camp and on hiking breaks.

So there you have it. a 3.26 pound winter sleeping system. Ultra comfortable, ultralight. Ultra warm. (ultra expensive, though. Sigh. That cuben fiber is way too expensive. When will Walmart start carrying it??)