I have noticed several threads debating webbing v. whoopies. One factor that seems to come up is that webbing offers better options when the trees are very close together. The counter argument to that is that if you want to hang under a tarp, you need a decent amount of space anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I went out tonight and hung my OES Maccat Deluxe. It is an 11 foot ridgeline. When you add a few inches on each side for the d-rings and the prussiks that I use to attach to my crl, you end up with at least 11 1/2 feet. Giving a little fudge factor for the dog bone and figure 9 I use to hang my tarp, I figure the realistic minimum hang distance is 12 feet. My hammock is a WBBB, currently with stock webbing straps. It can obviously fit between 12 foot trees with no problem. How about if I switched to whoopies? What do you think the minimum hang is for a standard set of whoopies on a marlin spike hitch toggle? Can I get it down to at least 12 feet? If so, then the tarp argument makes sense. Has anyone actually done this math? I am interested mostly to address the tree sap problem. I like the idea of completely detaching my suspension. Thoughts?