Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Can't argue the art aspect, but better distribution of forces is questionable. I see no advantage to the clew's distribution than my example below. And if one strand/loop is damaged with the clew, the clew must be replaced. If you took all the loops/dog bones to a biner then the damaged loop/dog bone may be replaced individually.
    Hate to burst your bubble dude. But the biner you are using _is_ a clew. Just not a woven clew. To each their own. Knock yourself out. But don't dis a clew when you use one yourself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    The clew I made has 14 strands making 28 leads to my netted garden hammock. These leads go to 24 meshes in the body of the hammock and 2 leads at each end go to the side braids. It is difficult to see but each lead is several inches too long. If any lead is damaged it is a simple matter to undo the lead where it meets the hammock and adjust so that you have enough to tie ends together.
    If it is necessary with a hemostat it is easy to grab the ends to tie in a new lead - a simple over under weave.
    My head hurts. But that is surely a beautiful hammock!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

I don't have a clue!

And I'm bubble-less besides! No "dis" intended, just a newbie askin' questions. I gave up knocking myself out awhile back, I don't wake up as fast these days! Based on the OP I thought the clew was the knot or "ball or lump of yarn" as implied by the origins of the word. But hey, I'm having fun learning, before this thread clew what absent from my vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble dude. But the biner you are using _is_ a clew. Just not a woven clew. To each their own. Knock yourself out. But don't dis a clew when you use one yourself.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    Hammock Clew

This is how to do it - Thanks to Nautile at KHWW

For more hammock info
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/forum96.php

If you want to learn how to net go back to the index - over a dozen netting related topics. Tony

That is beautiful....art!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    And I'm bubble-less besides! No "dis" intended, just a newbie askin' questions. I gave up knocking myself out awhile back, I don't wake up as fast these days! Based on the OP I thought the clew was the knot or "ball or lump of yarn" as implied by the origins of the word. But hey, I'm having fun learning, before this thread clew what absent from my vocabulary.
    terminologies can change with location and context. Didn't mean to sound harsh. eg a clew for me may not be the same as a clew for someone else. I rigged multiple lines for suspension projects and the clew was a cast iron spring loaded jobber that allowed the rope to pull in one direction and not the other. So if one is unfamiliar with the term it is easily confusing. Generally speaking it is a way of bringing multiple lines into one manageable attachment point, how ever that may be accomplished.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I have made net hammocks out of paracord before. Never seen this method before though.
    Jeremy

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Very well done and thanks for posting for all to learn.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the education. That's why I'm here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    terminologies can change with location and context. Didn't mean to sound harsh. eg a clew for me may not be the same as a clew for someone else. I rigged multiple lines for suspension projects and the clew was a cast iron spring loaded jobber that allowed the rope to pull in one direction and not the other. So if one is unfamiliar with the term it is easily confusing. Generally speaking it is a way of bringing multiple lines into one manageable attachment point, how ever that may be accomplished.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I just finished weaving my first clew. Very cool. I'm going to rig a jig next time and I'll post some instructions. For those who can't wait, here is an excellent pictorial.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1076992...02171794998082

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12