My eight year-old son and I are going on his first cub scout camping trip next weekend and plan to use our hammocks. I'm pretty new to this, in case you aren't able to tell.

I was planning to use two sleeping bags each, one under and one over. It's car camping, so weight isn't a concern. I also have a reflectix pad for me and a full-length thermarest for him. My question concerns the bags:

I can get by with a thread injector. I'll be using synthetic bags (older but certainly serviceable). Should I split one or two of the bags and make underquilts, or am I just as good off using them as they are directly underneath us? My thinking is that with synthetic insulation, compression may not be that big of a deal to make it worth the effort of making UQs out of the bags, and doing so will make them unusable for other purposes such as overnighters at friends' houses and the like - more likely for him than me, I'm afraid.

So what do you all think from your experience? Get out the scissors, sewing machine, and some shock cord and get to work, or throw the bags in the hammocks and enjoy the simple life?

I'm in central Missouri. The current forecast guesses at upper-30s to lower-40s for the nights.

Thanks in advance!