I have a local outfitter I like to give my business. I also have an REI I like to visit. The truth is I've probably given more money to REI than my local outfitter. Anyway, here's today's story.

It starts last Spring. For whatever reasons, I was at REI looking to get my son and me a backpack for the first time since I was a scout. I was there quite a while and came home with an Osprey Kestrel 48 and an Osprey Talon 44. Over last year we used the bags around 6 times for overnight trips. I was pretty proud of the bags when I brought them home, but never felt good about them when actually packing and carrying them on the trail. I've gotten a little better each time, but never really happy.

This weekend I went out again. And again I had trouble packing. The big problem is a 5.5 lb behemoth sleeping bag. It took my 13 yro and I and inordinate amount of time to pack up. All the straps and zippers and pockets seemed more like gee-whizz than functional.

I'd finally had enough and resolved to visit REI again about the bags. They have this 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'd never really tested it, but I'd read some neat stories. Their new policy is returns up to a year given the gear is in good shape (being subjective to the manager).

I still had both packs in the back of my car packed from this weekend. What I wanted to do was bring them in and find a new pack. Then pack my stuff in it and see how it fits. The manager actually said ok to this plan. Although, he was a little frustrated I'd waited almost a full year to return the packs. I told him I wasn't sure if it was just too much gear or my inexperience packing or what. It was just this last trip that convinced me to upgrade.

So "the guy" in camping was showing me bigger packs and such. When he saw all my gear (especially the monster sleeping bag), he told me my packs were fine and appropriately sized for the kinds of trips I was making. He suggested replacing the sleeping bag rather than the pack. Of course, this is the right move. I have no business carrying a 5.5 pound sleeping bag. The problem is that lighter bags are quite expensive. What I really want is a down top quilt. The problem as always is cash.

So he says he thinks he can pack my pack with my stuff. After seeing my gear all spread out on the floor, he guided me through how to pack it. It turns out, with one more compression sack I was able to fit everything beautifully! I haven't felt this good about my pack since the day I bought it. Oh, and this whole thing wrapped up about 20 minutes after closing. The moral of the story is that I'm almost always pleased with the service I receive from REI.