My grandson David joined us for his first backpacking trip this weekend. He's truck camped all his life and loves it but had never done a hike in camp. I've got enough extra gear that he has his own set up to use anytime we go.

We were to leave on Friday after work but I had to stay later than expected so we would have had to hike in the dark to get there. If it had just been me it wouldn't have mattered but I didn't think he'd like that so we went early Saturday morning. Got to camp about 11 and only Chigger and old4hats were there. Maddog67 had already left as he came up early and headed out Saturday. Had a nice time around camp. Got to fish some, explore a bit and relax on Saturday.

Got to hang the new Big Squid tarp in the piney woods for the first time and it worked out great. Thanks again Suidbilly!

Sunday morning rolls around and Chigger and old4hats pack it up and head for home. We had planned to stay through Monday due to missing out on some Friday time. About lunch the skies start to darken and David asked could we head home too. We get camp packed away and head back to the truck. About 1/2 mile out we're going down a small hill when I hear a thump and a scream behind me. David twisted his ankle and snapped both bones in three places above his ankle on his right leg. I got his pack off and helped him to the bottom of the hill. Got him situated in a camp chair and elevated his leg.
A family was hiking up the trail and the dad had a fire fighter t shirt on so I asked if he was EMS. He was and looked at the leg and verified what I thought he would say - appears to be broken. Not far behind him was another EMS with a radio who was able to hike a ways back up the trail a bit and got a signal, called in for help and had me go wait for the ambulance and guide them in. About the time I got back to the truck the bottom let out and it poured down for over an hour. EMS and Rescue Responders arrive and we hit the trail to David over a mile away and it's not a walk in the park. They load him up on a gurney with a large all terrain tire in the middle and push and pull him up the trail to the ambulance. It was pouring rain, he was cold, scared and going into shock on the way out. They loaded him in and off to the hospital we go. Xrays show the damage and several hours later he's spending the night in the hospital.
A big THANK YOU to all that helped in the ordeal and got him out safely! Be careful out there because you never know what's around the bend.