new member with new hammock and tarp. I bought a WBBB XLC DL 1.7 and a Superfly. Extremely happy with both items. I bought the DL to use with pads. I have them from carcamping. I first set up with a partially inflated Thermarest camprest pad, 25"wx72"lx1.5"thick. My favorite pad. I slid it between the double layers on the diagonal and got in. Laying on the diagonal was very comfy, but too much side area was unprotected, probably a potential cold spot. I had a BA air-core mummy pad, and I tried it, but the fit and bulk didn't seem right. I had a ccf pad in my collection, so I tried it, laying roughly parallel with my main pad, and kinda tucked under it partially. Good side coverage but stiff and non-conforming. I figured this wasn't quite right, so I decided to cut the ccf pad(thermarest ridgerest) into 1/3rd"s and then install them at 90 degrees to the main pad along the sides, with some length tucked under the main pad to hold in place. The 3- 20"wide pcs laid edge to edge covered my side area well from head to toe. I positioned them just under the bugnet zipper line with the rest down the sides and excess length tucked under the main pad. I laid in the hammock again and moved around. Main pad under, and 3 pcs layered up one side. NICE!! Time to get 1 more pad and duplicate on other side.( Certainly not afraid to cut up a new $15 pad to suit my needs.)Pad purchased, cut into sections and laid in on other side. Got in again and wriggled around. Nice flat, diagonal lay with feet in BB footbox, ccf pad pieces laying nicely up both sides to just below zipper line, butted up edge to edge. I was comfy and well protected. Time for an overnighter. The hammock bottom kinda looked like the hull of a ship, with the side foam pcs, but ask me if I care. The sleep and warmth will give the answer.
Using my DIY Ray Jardine Polarguard quilt, I spent my first nite. Longjohn top and bottoms, clean socks, my usual camping sleepwear. I've used the quilt to high 30's several times camping. any colder and I layer up and have been fine. The 1st nite was high 40's, very little wind. Had SF set up as well for morning dew. WONDERFUL. No cold spots, flat comfortable lay, even on my sides with knees poking forward. The side panels stayed in place nicely, as well as the main pad. Another night, same temps and lite wind. I'M GONNA LIKE THIS!! A 3rd nite. Wonderful again. Regardless of body position, I was always protected/insulated by side panels or main pad. Still looks like the hull of a ship, but I don't care. A very comfortable sleep, and plenty warm thru the night. I tuck in the quilt out of habit when i turn over, so it's automatic.
With the cooler weather coming soon enough, I will try many more nites in my back yard. May have to put more air in main pad, we'll see when the time comes. REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE NITES IN THE HAMMOCK. By next spring/summer, I should have all the bugs worked out and establish my routines. Thanks for listening. UQ? WHY??