Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Wally World
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Those are some fantastic drawlings.
    I wish I could draw that well.
    I forgot to give props to dejoha for that.
    He posted it back on the second page.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7&postcount=23

Also, what fuels do you use for your super cat stoves or other alcohol stoves?
    I was thinking Iso-alcohol, the 90% rubbing alcohol.
    Will that work? Or do i need to invest in more powerful alcohol?
    Last edited by Bill Cosby; 10-07-2010 at 15:31.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Caldera Cone Stoves are some of the lightest most efficient alcohol stoves around. They run on denatured alcohol, available at home deop/lowes. Cheap fuel. A can of it last me for a year or two. Check out the everynew 1.3L caldera cone setup. A good intro to lightweight stoves without making the full jump to beer can setup.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    denatured alcohol is what you want to use as fuel. You can get in the paint section of wal-mart. I would use BRAIDED mason line for my ridge line. For toggles a stick off the ground or a 3/8 inch dowel cut into 3 inch pieces.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Also as far as pitching a tarp, i prefer the following SINGLE ridgeline methods:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=10115&page=2

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10479

Currently I have a single ridgeline setup, meaning the ridgeline is in one piece. This ridgeline runs Over my tarp. My tarp is connected to this single ridgeline via spliced continuous loops. Splicing involves running a hollow line through itself to achieve a locking method, like a Chinese finger trap when pulled tight. This is more advanced. You can accomplish the same setup with simple prussic knots or penburthy knots instead.

Anyway. The tarp is connected to the ridgeline with two of these loops that allow me to slide it up and down the ridgeline as needed. I feel this is important because getting your tarp centered over you hammock can be a real pain in the butt. Having that taut line to slide it up and down on is great.

As far as connecting to the trees, I have a very light, simple, fast setup. I have a tiny JRB mini carabiner, any mini carabiner(keychain size) will do. Including the ones at home depot. Anyway, I have this on a sliding prussic. I have a bowline loop on one end of my tarp ridgeline. I wrap the bowline around the tree, and clip the biner onto it. Making sure to leave enough of a gap(purpose of having the biner it on a sliding prussic) to run my tree strap for my hammock suspension down the middle of it.

Now that im around the first tree, I can walk over to the second tree, wrap around it. Now on this side I have a small metal figure 9 device(also on a sliding prussic-very important). If when I wrap around the tree my fig9 is behind the tree or too close to the tarp, I can just slide it out, because after all, its on a sliding prussic. So I wrap around the tree, secure it in the fig 9 device and im done. Now my ridgeline is up and taut as a guitar string. Again I leave enough space to get my hammock suspension through the gap.

Next part is my guyline tieouts for my stakes, staking down my tarp. For this I recommend Opies guyline tieouts. They have a spliced loop that goes over your stake, they connect to your tarp via a prussic and this allows you to simply pull the line out to the desired length, put it over your stake, and tighten it down. Simple, fast, light. Of course you can make your own out of zing-it line or lash-it. But im not going to go into that here.

You seem new. I recommend ordering some 7/64 amsteel, getting some splicing needles and going to the thread in the suspension forum called Whoppie slings. This thread is a good intro to splicing and very encouraging when you do it right. You will know you have the right thread if its by Slowbro and has lots of pics.

Store your tarp in homemade no-see-um netting (order online) snake skins for fast deployment in windy conditions or any conditions when using the single continuous ridgeline method.

Welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: bmp 3.bmp (1,007.4 KB, 34 views)

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    For my ridgeline i use speer-no-tangle(speer hammocks website). I like it because its easy to see, has no sag whatsoever and is light. You can see it in the first link i sent, its the orange line. Its also somewhat stiff and less likely to tangle, althought it, like any line, will tangle occasionally. For my continuous loops and guylines i use zing-it/lash-it available from Sherril tree or complete pre-made setups from Opie.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    For my ridgeline i use speer-no-tangle(speer hammocks website). I like it because its easy to see, has no sag whatsoever and is light. You can see it in the first link i sent, its the orange line. Its also somewhat stiff and less likely to tangle, althought it, like any line, will tangle occasionally. For my continuous loops and guylines i use zing-it/lash-it available from Sherril tree or complete pre-made setups from Opie.
    Ed's website will re-direct you to Tree to Tree's site. The link is below my signature.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    stoves? ive been useing a homemade alch stove with the gsi soloist pot set (35$ rei)http://www.rei.com/product/784114
    food ? ill either dehydrate foods or if im in a hurry mountain house works ,instant oatmeal. instant coffee .ill even take a can of chiken chunks to mix in with instant mashed potatos and stuffing ..lots of reipes here..http://www.backpackingchef.com/index.html
    http://www.backpackingchef.com/index.html
    headlamp? i also use energizer headlamp from wal mart works great .and they have a few dif models to chose from..+ the red light on them doesnt attact bugs.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-...6-LEDs/8111444
    ridgeline for tarp? ive been useing mason line from lowes .works ok .its light also and cheap! what ever line you buy make sure its braided not twisted..http://www.lowes.com/pd_33815-51834-...Dmasons%2Bline

i got the yellow as pink just isnt my color lol

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby View Post
    What foods do you cook in it/take with you on a hike?
    I am religious about NOT cooking in the wilderness. Waste of time, energy and pack space.

Love Petzl Zipka lights. Compact and versatile.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I make my own dehydrated meals. Just buy a 5 tray dehydrator and your off. Dehydrate ground beef (make sure its 97% fat free or more, fat doesn't dehydrate well. Cook it with breadcrumbs first so it absorbs more water. Add couscous + olive oil and your favorite spices, dried cheeses. cooking for the autodoor is an adventure by itself.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Wally World
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Huggers
    You guys have been more than helpful, thanks again.

Question about alcohol stoves:
    If I made the pepsi can stove could I cut the can a little bit higher, about halfway or so, so that it would hold more fuel therefore burning longer?
    Last edited by Bill Cosby; 10-07-2010 at 22:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast