Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    You're way off base and missing the point. But I appreciate your input. You clearly stated that the kammock was a "noob setup" this implies there is some hierarchy that equates experience to equipment does it not?

I have merely opened this up to discussion. If you take umbrage to this then here's your opportunity to discuss the subject further. I am not supreme judge, but, I am as entitled to an opinion as you are.

Btw I'm not making do at all. I made an Srl, my own homemade whoopies and soft shackles. I have a cocoon and an extremely comfortable mass produced hammock.
    Maybe I should have qualified noob setup: I meant it from a backpacking perspective.

Is a Hennessy Hammock, a CCF pad and a 4 lb. synthetic sleeping bag a noob setup? I think it is from a backpacking perspective, and it's what I carried for a year.

Everything about my setup screamed noob. The tarp was too small, the hammock too short, the rope suspension was heavy and a pain in the butt. The pad slipped, there was tremendous condensation, and my back was screaming from the weight of the whole setup.

Knowing what I know now, I don't use that setup anymore, nor would I carry a Kammok on my back. As I mentioned, the suspension is unreliable and too heavy, the fabric is too heavy, the tarp is too heavy, etc.

I'm using my own experience to define noob setup, not anyone else's. When I was a noob, I simply wouldn't have known the difference. There is indeed a heirarchy that equates experience to equipment, from my personal point of view. At least that's been my progression.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Have you attended any groups Hangs, and which one's? Have you experience with any other rig's? Do you own or have you owned, borrowed, any other set ups?

If not, would you be open to any of the above?

Sounds like a 12 dollar tablecloth hammock might suit you better than a WBBB. HH probably has as many product models as anybody. Not all of them suit all people. He sells bare bones Scout models, High end Jungle versions. Many fall into a range in between with the Exd or Exp.

The bottom line is you really won't know unless you have a chance to set your kit up beside several others and take a long hard look. There is no description off of a web page that can provide you with that type of input, and that's really where it matters anyway. In the field rather than on a website.

You will also meet a bunch of hangers that are passionate about their rigs and past time, but open minded enough to listen, consider, other's ideas, as well as share their own opinions and techniques. In the most gracious and generous way possible. You really won't believe it until you actually see it and take part.

Most of the Group Hangs are held close enough so even the heaviest and most awesome of set ups can make the short hike in. There have even been tents sighted from time to time, and no one is slighted or barred from camping, asking questions, providing input, because they have a Harbor Freight tarp or Dome tent.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

I go with mates. 2 have HH deluxes. Had a DD travel, got a tw grey hornet. Downgraded to a simple big banana hammock. Very comfy.

Had a down UQ, now use a snugpak cocoon as I picked one up cheap. Learned all there is I need to know about hammocking in about an hour. srls, whoopies, soft shackles, marlin spikes, the works.

But it's just a bed at the end of the day.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Speaks volumes
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Speaks volumes
    Elaborate?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    I go with mates. 2 have HH deluxes. Had a DD travel, got a tw grey hornet. Downgraded to a simple big banana hammock. Very comfy.

Had a down UQ, now use a snugpak cocoon as I picked one up cheap. Learned all there is I need to know about hammocking in about an hour. srls, whoopies, soft shackles, marlin spikes, the works.

But it's just a bed at the end of the day.

Nope. Nothing more to add to that
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post

Nope. Nothing more to add to that
    I did say " I need" not "there is" ... But jump to conclusions if you must.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Noob setup:

Parachute cloth hammock bought in a big box store or online for less than $50 or something worth that much but priced higher. Generally uses rope for suspension. Such hammocks generally have more utility as a back yard lounging accessory than as camping shelter. Most can be adapted to suitable utility as a camping shelter with the addition of accessories and certain modifications to suspensions. Persons who purchase such products intending to use them as a camping shelter generally move on to other products more suited to the task, especially if they respectfully listen to the advice given by others who have tread the path before them.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    ... especially if they respectfully listen to the advice given by others who have tread the path before them.
    The hammock Jedis?

It's just camping, not a dark art. I've been camping for years... It's just a bed, a wonderful bed that's comfy and allows me to escape the rat race. But let's not pretend there's a skill to it.

I'm done with this forum. Guess I won't be missed but from trying to defend one other member I seem to have been rounded on by the vast majority of others.

Enjoy your gear, hope it brings you happiness.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast