grand trunk nano 7
    Tarp
    HG cuben trap
    Insulation
    HG top/uder quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Wildcat Hollow in Ohio

Has anyone hiked Wildcat Hollow in Ohio? i think i am going to hike the trail late April early May and I wanted to get some info on it before I go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have hiked it once. I prefer Zaleski mainly for water being provided and an option for two different campsites D and H. Zaleski is also more of a moderetly strenuous Hiking experience. For comparison, I would list Shawnee as highly strenuous, Tar Hollow next lower, Zaleski next and Wilcat Hollow at mildly strenuous. It is more gentle hills and nice cutbacks. The one pine forest area is super nice to hike through and the only other place close to it is Lake Vesuvios. No water is provided so you must cache or carry and the stream(s) back up from Beaver activity so I did not filter but carried. If I remember correctly, the trail conditions were extreme, the trail is bone dry or it is muddy. I hiked it in April and had the Mud. The trail is well marked with Diamonds and maintained nicely. I do remember looking for signs of Bobcat and there is more chance of seeing them here than probably anywhere else in Southwest Ohio. The trail does border private land so one must make sure to stay in the Forested Area. You well struggle to find solitude from outside noise. Overall, i will probably hike it again to refresh my knowledge and to enjoy a two day one night experiece. However, I always enjoy Zaleski and look forward to a multiday hike in Shawnee. I really like Hocking Hills and the Buckeye Trail as it passes through the county. I just wish there was no fee primitive backpacking camp area's and a way to form a loop other than the Zaleski Area. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Check out www.backpackohio.com. Their downloadable trail guides and maps are pretty decent, and not very expensive. They call them etrails. Worth the $6.00, imo. Small forum with some good info, as well. I have been to Vesuvius twice, and it was pretty choked with weeds and mud both times. The second time, I lost the trail due to severe blowdowns. I might give it one more try in the dead of winter.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    grand trunk nano 7
    Tarp
    HG cuben trap
    Insulation
    HG top/uder quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I usually backpack Zaleski about 4-5 times a year so I was looking to mix it up. Tar Hollow is also on my list but I havent done the research on it yet for details. I have researched a little on Wild Cat and have a coworker that lives almost next door to it so I thinking of checking it out. I love backpackohio. I use it a lot actually. Sometimes its just better to get more current reviews and info from people on here than using backpackohio. I dont mind carrying water in. I knew I would have to on that trip. My base weight is only like 12 lbs. So carrying in water isnt a big deal. Thanks for the info. I might try Tar Hollow first.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been around Burr Oak on a day hike but not up into Wildcat Hollow. I hit Zaleski a lot and Shawnee once. Shawnee is pretty but I don't like what they did to the trail--still, you can't beat Camp 6.

I did hear you could expect more wildlife at Wildcat than Zaleski. While I consider that a plus, some don't.

That would be a great time for spring woodland wildflowers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Tar Hollow really sucks....lol. (I don't want more and more people discovering this gem, lol) Either the North Trail or the South makes for a great 6-8 Hour Hike. Either way, you end up by the fire tower and a nice backpackers campground 400 feet back at the cost of $8. Both trails offer one last water fill out of nice creeks before climbing up to the ridge. Gives great practice for the Sawyer Squeeze. I sometimes do the North Trail - Hang - South Trail - Hang and hike down the 3rd morning. Used a lot less than Zaleski but doesn't have as many stop points with a story behind it. Tar Hallow is my new favorite place too hike - second to Zaleski because of the Backpacking Fee. Allows more solitude; unless we see each other there some time...lol. Enjoy Sloth

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    If you can make the drive checkout the Charles Deam Wilderness in Indy. The area in like southern ohio but the trails seem better with switchbacks and such. You are back in the woods and won't hear the random cars all night like at Zaleski. Check out a Hoosier Hang if you get the chance. My drive from Columbus is about 4 hours.

Nice to see more Ohio guys again. We need a good Ohio Hang.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    If you can make the drive checkout the Charles Deam Wilderness in Indy. The area in like southern ohio but the trails seem better with switchbacks and such. You are back in the woods and won't hear the random cars all night like at Zaleski. Check out a Hoosier Hang if you get the chance. My drive from Columbus is about 4 hours.

Here, here! It's gonna happen! Luke and I have been plotting but our schedules have been wrecked. After Christmas should see something on the board.

David

Hammock
    grand trunk nano 7
    Tarp
    HG cuben trap
    Insulation
    HG top/uder quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Tar Hollow really sucks....lol. (I don't want more and more people discovering this gem, lol) Either the North Trail or the South makes for a great 6-8 Hour Hike. Either way, you end up by the fire tower and a nice backpackers campground 400 feet back at the cost of $8. Both trails offer one last water fill out of nice creeks before climbing up to the ridge. Gives great practice for the Sawyer Squeeze. I sometimes do the North Trail - Hang - South Trail - Hang and hike down the 3rd morning. Used a lot less than Zaleski but doesn't have as many stop points with a story behind it. Tar Hallow is my new favorite place too hike - second to Zaleski because of the Backpacking Fee. Allows more solitude; unless we see each other there some time...lol. Enjoy Sloth
    I usually make a point to talk to other hammock people on trail to see other setups and what other people like. so if you are out there with a hammock and I am out there...... I will find you hahahaha.

Hammock
    grand trunk nano 7
    Tarp
    HG cuben trap
    Insulation
    HG top/uder quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post

we could easily do a hang at zaleski at campsite H. there are plenty of spots to hang there. I always have people in columbus that are ready to come out and hike. We just need a little notice like a month or so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast