Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    adutchable clip or multiple wraps takes care of small trees, and for big trees you just run the amsteel around the tree and through the loop or buckle (obviously not the weight bearing section)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I didn't realize the leads were permanently attached to the huggers. Are they spliced on? Is there a video showing the tree end of the equation? It doesn't really show in Dutch's vid on speed hooks. I didn't ger hungers with my order since I figured I could use my tree strap from the WBBB. Should I try to add tree hungers before Dutch ships?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The Leads are larksheaded onto the strap loops. If you would like to, you can undo the larkshead and use a MSH like a Whoopie Sling.

I just use an ADutchable Clip and all is well. The strap is adjustable, the Speed Hook is adjustable. The connection from the Lead to the strap is adjustable. Any part can be extended or minimized.

A 6' strap with a 6' Whoopie Sling has the same max distance as a 6' strap and 6' Lead/Speed Hook. The min distance is better with the Lead/Speed Hook and ease of adjustability is also better.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Ok, larks head I can handle. . But am I correct that I'd have to use a MSH for the strap that comes with the adjustable WBBB suspension? They only have a loop in one end. Dutch's leads have a fixed loop on one end, correct?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    Ok, larks head I can handle. . But am I correct that I'd have to use a MSH for the strap that comes with the adjustable WBBB suspension? They only have a loop in one end. Dutch's leads have a fixed loop on one end, correct?
    use a continuous loop on the end of the hammock.

Warbonnet attaches whoopies etc directly to the hammock and then uses a biner to attach to the tree strap, Dutch does it the other way around ie. strap and suspension together, then instead of a biner you use some Dutch Ti

watch a few videos from both sites and it's easy to understand

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    As far as the long adjustable strap, you can even scrap most of the strap altogether with the Speed hook. The only strap needed is to go around the tree, removing the weight and bulk of the rest of the strap.

-Then the Amsteel Lead in whatever length(match the length of the remaining strap).

-Then the Speed Hook.

-The SH attaches to a Continuous Loop larksheaded to hammock.

To attach the strap to the tree, either make a second loop for a carabiner or Dutch Clip, etc. or you can use an ADutchable Clip that doesn't require a loop. It will help to custom size the strap to the tree.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Thanks guys. My next order will need some adutchable clips!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    OK so I bought a set of these when they were first launched and I am just now putting them to use. My question/observation is that I need to use a different balance of strap and amsteel. I know some of this has been mentioned, but as I am making mine (as opposed to have the great and wonderful Dutchmen of OZ do it), if I leave my 6-8 foot straps I am left with too much distance from the tree. I should make a video, and maybe will this weekend, but here is what I got and how I am thinking it will need to be adjusted.

6-8' straps with loops on both ends. I have a few different ones, but they are all in this range.
    5' amsteel with a fixed loop at one end and the other end is pulled back thru itself like the end of a whoopie.
    a speed hook placed on the amsteel before finishing the ends.

OK so first how I constructed the amsteel. I made the locked loop at the end just like I would have to start a whoopie. I buried about 8". I then put the amsteel thru the middle hole in the hook( this is before dutch made the single hole). I then just pulled about 1.5" back thru the end of the line to create a stopper to prevent the hook from falling off. This is a finished length of 5'.

Now I would larkshead the amsteel loop to the end of the tree strap (btw I am sure the adutchable clips would help this, but alas I have none).

Now to the woods. I would find my tree and if I made no adjustments and found a medium to small tree, I would put the open loop around the tree (once) and put the speed hook thru the end loop and pull tight. This leaves me the extra strap, and all 5' of amsteel. When I hook to my continuous loop attached to my hammock I can only adjust up to the 8" bury on the amsteel loop. I know dutch said you can adjust closer to the tree because you can avoid the bury, but I am still seeing the issue with the bury.

I can fix these issues by adjusting the ratio of strap/amsteel, I can also wrap the strap around the tree a few times.

I love this system much more then whoopies (except the fact that I wont be saying whoopie anymore, maybe they should be yahoo hooks or yeehah hooks). As I am a larger feller I would have issues moving my whoopies after i put some weight on them. My son also would have issues figuring which end to pull to loosen or tighten.

Am I seeing this correctly? without a working sewing machine I will be wrapping mine around the tree for this coming Webelows Woods but see myself moving to a 5' strap and a 6-8 foot amsteel. Anyone have a better ratio or better idea?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    You are on the right track. I use 5 foot amsteel configured as you described larks head to 6 foot tree straps. Couple ideas:
    Thin trees - wrap the strap around a couple times until you get the length right.
    Fat trees - I carry a couple amsteel continuous loops (or dog bones) as well as a couple of 2 foot tree straps that I can larks head on the 6 foot tree straps to extend them as necessary. (Yes, the trees here in the NE mature forest need the extensions at times.)
    Also, the 1st batch of speed hooks should be de-burred - take a small round file and run thru the holes/hook to ensure the are smooth and won't snag your amsteel.
    The only thing I do different is use these Dutch Clips on the end of my tree straps to make it easy to attach/disconnect from the tree.
    http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html
    If your tree straps don't have loops on each end, use the adjustable clips in the previous post (I'd be using the adjustable clips as well but they hadn't been invented when I ordered)
    Last edited by oldpappy; 12-11-2014 at 10:44.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast