I'm looking into my first hammock and have received some excellent advice and information so far (www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=997)

Some of the DIY information and specs on commercial hammocks has me curious about what determines the load capacity and ratings on hammocks.

Is it the fabric itself? Seems to be mostly 1.9oz or 2.1oz out there - is there a huge difference?

Is it the stitching at the ends? This seems like the most likely failure point - is that the case? Are some construction methods better than others?

Is it the tree attachment system? This one is so fluid and changeable that it seems unlikely this would determine a rating - is that correct? I would think most climbing rope/webbing setups would be fine and this part of the system rarely fails. Right?

I guess what I'm getting at is what part is the most important for load strength? It seems some VERY similar specs range from 250lbs. to 400+lbs. Is there really a difference or are the numbers simply warranty concerns?

Thanks for any insights!

-Curt