Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

How Much Sag and Cold Feet

As I continue to refine my setup, and look for that weekend that I'm actually free to do more than hang in the backyard, I hung in the backyard last night to make sure all was well.

Temps got down to about 40, but I awoke at 3am with really cold feet, which was unexpected. The only change I had made was tighten the structural ridgeline to increase the sag. I increased the sag as I noticed most hammock pics I'm seeing (shug's, sclittlefield's, WBBB, etc.) have a lot more room between the hammock body and the ridgeline. (I was specifically looking at sclittlefield's bugnet design)

As I lay diagonally, I noticed a pressure ridge down my calves, along the center axis of the hammock. I can only assume this helped reduce the blood flow to my feet. I did notice with the increased sag, it seemed my feet were elevated a bitmore than normal. I'm also beginning to think my hammock is just a bit too short. I made it from 3 yds of material, and the ends are whipped, but I'm 6' tall. The foot-end whipping is WBBB style, the head-end is the DIY henessy style.

Thoughts?

I slept in: Fleece sweats, fleece booties, and had my feet tucked into my top quilt. My UQ: Lost River KAQ, which kept my backside warm and toasty.

Maybe I need more insulation in the footbox of my TQ, or maybe I shoved my feet against the bottom so hard that I compressed the insulation? It was an aggravating night as once I gave up, I found the kids had taken over my space, so I was stuck on the sofa.

The real aggravation was that I THOUGHT I was going to be good down below 40 degrees, and was planning a s24o to make sure before I went out for a weekend. Given that I'm super-busy for the next several months, I'm wondering if I'll be ready for spring at all. (or if I should just break down and buy a good topquilt)

Thanks!

John of the frigid feet clan

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Temps got down to about 40, but I awoke at 3am with really cold feet, which was unexpected. The only change I had made was tighten the structural ridgeline to increase the sag.

As I lay diagonally, I noticed a pressure ridge down my calves, along the center axis of the hammock.
    Well since the only change you made was to tighten the ridge line and that produced cold feet and pressure down your calves..... go back to what you were doing before you tightened the ridge line

We each have to find what's right for "us". What works well for the rest or even the majority may not work at all for you.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    This thread might help you.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Well since the only change you made was to tighten the ridge line and that produced cold feet and pressure down your calves..... go back to what you were doing before you tightened the ridge line

We each have to find what's right for "us". What works well for the rest or even the majority may not work at all for you.

TinaLouise
    that's far too obvious... I don't think I can do something THAT simple. After all, I work in the IT field, if I don't generate a complex solution, what good am I doing?

I was thinking that, but part of the reason to increase the sag was to increase my head room... it's a "bit" claustophobic.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    John,
    Funny you bring this up because on my last outing I had a very similar situation happen to me. I sleep in a HH Expedition and have done so for the past year. I camp at least once a month with our Boy Scouts and have never had cold feet to the extend I had last month. In Feb. we were up at Table Rock State Park in the mountains of SC and the lows were in the mid to upper 20s. I was sleeping in a 20 degree bag with heavy wool sock and woke about 3am and could not feel my feet. Everything else was comfy but my feet were ice cold. I was wondering if I had my feet pressed to much up against the fabric therefore compressing the insulation in the bag, but this has never happened before and I set things up and slept the same as on other outings. It may have been just the really cold night but it felt weird for me. For the second night I did not take any chances and used 2 pair of sock and placed some hand warmers in between the 2 layers. I was nice a toasty all night.

I have another outing this weekend were the lows will be in the low to mid 40s. I'll see what happens on this trip.

Chris

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    If your feet were higher than your head, this might have caused the decreased circulation to feet. Something else to think about if it had never happened before.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    If your feet were higher than your head, this might have caused the decreased circulation to feet. Something else to think about if it had never happened before.
    X2
    happens to me for sure
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have found that sag is a pretty personal thing. For example, I can nap in Firewalker's hammock, & he in mine. But, much longer than about an hour & comparative misery sets in. The sag in mine is about 2.5' from my ridgeline, his is about 3.5 - 4'.
    The ridge under you may also account for the cold feet, and I'm thinking it changed the lay of your underquilt. Every time I change something with the suspension or how the quilt is hung I have to "fiddle with it for a bit" to get the lay of the quilt right again.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Doc,
    I actually thought about this also. I usually hang my head end a little lower so I am not sliding to the foot end so much. I may have just had it set a little too low.

Ps. I usually hang my HH as very tight and have not had any issues with comfort so far.

Chris

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I sometimes wonder if socks don't hurt more than they help.

If I've worn socks all day, when I take them off, oftentimes it's obvious that the elastic has constricted the tissue above the ankle. This can't help circulation.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast