ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

Warbonnet Travel Net Review

My thoughts regarding the Warbonnet Travel Net -

The Travel Net from Warbonnet is a no-seeum bug net designed to work with the Traveler hammock, but it works perfectly with any end-gathered top loading hammock up to 10 feet in length. It ships complete with the net, an adjustable shock cord ridgeline, and end ties to attach to the hammock suspension - all coming packed in a silnylon stuffsack with cord closure and cordlock. The entire package, on my scale, weighs 8 oz precisely. The stuff sack accounts for .3 oz, and the net, ridgeline, and ties weight 7.7oz. The Warbonnet website states the weight as 7.4 oz. I'm not sure what accounts for the difference, but .3oz is a very minimal discrepancy.

Once the net is on the hammock, entry and exit is done via a 4 foot long horizontal double-pull zipper. When hung properly, that zipper is at the approximate height of the hammock fabric which makes entry and egress easy and struggle-free.

Once inside and zipped in, the net is noticeably roomy. The noseeum is cut generously enough to allow a very comfortable asymmetric lay, while not being over-sized to the point of having material sagging below the occupied hammock. It is a compromise of size and material, and I feel that the proportions are well-chosen to allow comfortable use for a large variety of hammocks and occupants. Additionally the netting seals very well, both at the zipper and the hammock suspension ends, to provide the occupant with a trustworthy insect-free environment.

To use the net, the netting is placed on the hammock before the hammock is hung. The easiest method is to open the zipper, place the hammock inside, and pull each end of the hammock suspension out of the hook-and-loop sealing closures on each end of the net. The only detail of note is to make sure that the zipper on the net corresponds to the side of the hammock you wish to enter/exit from, if that is a concern. Once hung, be sure to seal the hook and loop end closures to ensure a bug-free interior.

After hanging the net and hammock, the net ends need to be secured to the hammock suspension on each end to prevent sliding, and then the net ridgeline needs to be tensioned to provide 'lift' to the netting. There are a few ways to accomplish this, and I will detail two methods below.

Method 1 - Use the included end-ties in a 'prussik' configuration around the hammock suspension, and clip the hooks to the ring on each end of the net. This is appropriate for almost any suspension, either webbing or cord based, and allows the rings on each end of the net to be used as the tensioner point for the shock cord ridgeline and cord locks.

Method 2 - This alternate method can be used on hammocks with either a Whoopie Sling or Cinch Buckle suspension. Instead of using a 'prussik' as above, the cord-lock on the net's ridge line can be placed into the 'loop' of the whoopie sling, or through the 'center' of a cinch buckle. That provides the point of tension for the ridgeline. To secure it there, simply hook the remaining 'tie-out' of the net around the cord-lock from underneath either the sling's loop or the cinch buckle.

Once secured via either of those methods, adjusting tension on the ridgeline is a simple matter of pulling the shock-cord tighter through the cord-locks. Ideally, you will leave enough slack so that bottom of the netting *just* hangs below the fabric of the occupied hammock or hammock with underquilt. It takes a moment or two of practice to find the right tension upon first use, but the adjustment is simple and once set it need not be moved futher.

In summary, I think the Warbonnet Travel Net is a simple but solid design. The dimensions are well-suited to most end-gathered hammocks, and the workmanship is excellent. There are no excess materials or accessories that add needless weight, so it feels well-built without being over-built for the task. Entry and exit is simple and straightforward via the horizontal side-zipper, and adjusting the net up or down is trivial. All in all, a solid product worth considering for adding bug-protection to an end-gathered hammock.

If there are any followup questions, or if I didn't explain anything well, don't hesitate. I've used this net on and off for several months before posting this review.

postscript - I was very careful about placing the net-support at the top of the whoopie sling, as shown. At first I wasn't sure if that would cause a problem. But, I now have more than 10 full nights in the hammock using the net attached to the whoopie sling in that fashion. So far, no problems whatsoever.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Thanks for the great review, angrysparrow, and especially for the detailed pics. That velcro end closure is essentially what I've been doing with my DIY net, and seeing Brian do things that way settles my mind about it.

Re that closure in practice -- did you encounter any problems with the velcro getting separated by motion of the hammock / ridge line?. I have had that happen with mine, but wonder if it wasn't because I use a fixed ridge line. I suspect it might not happen with that shock cord. FWIW, if it does happen, I found you can keep the bugs out if you stuff the end space with some balled up scrap netting, held in place by the velcro.

Nice product, nice report!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I have not had the velcro separate when using the shock-cord ridgeline. But, on a previous hammock with a fixed-ridge-cord I experienced what you are describing with the ENO bug net. I suspect that since the shock-cord ridge doesn't have nearly the tension on it as a fixed one, that it simply stretches rather than separating the velcro when any lateral force is applied.

I will followup in this thread when/if that ever happens to me, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback, AS... good to know.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thanks AS. now we need a video How easy is it to get your uq or pad in place thru the zipper? I like the elastic ridgeline, that brandon is a thinker.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    How easy is it to get your uq or pad in place thru the zipper? I like the elastic ridgeline, that brandon is a thinker.
    It's no trouble at all to put an UQ or pad in with the net in place. The zipper opens wide enough that you can reach anywhere inside when standing, in addition to the velcro opening on the ends.

I agree, the ridgeline works well.

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks for the review. Very helpful!!. I just got mine last week and I don't know if it was an oversight or if the Travelnet ships with different components now but mine did not come with a stuff sack or cordlocks. Not complaining, I really like my Travelnet!! just a fyi.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
    I don't know if it was an oversight or if the Travelnet ships with different components now but mine did not come with a stuff sack or cordlocks.
    Good to know. Since mine came that way, I thought it was standard.

I guess not having it can be called a .3oz weight reduction.

Images
    Very useful info! Because I have been considering this very item for a while now. Seems to me it would be perfect for my Claytor No Net, and possibly even my HH Safari No Net, with even a few more possibilities.

• + New Posts