1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Hovering 'over' versus sleeping 'on' the ground

I'm think I saw a thread that touched on this. If it's already been discussed ... please point me in the right direction.

But my question is "In cold weather, has anyone been able to comfortably hang their hammock only inches off the ground instead of 'on the ground'?"

Have you hung your hammock close to the ground and used dry leaves, grass or other available organic materials to insulate that last couple inches between the hammock and the ground ... to avoid (shutter) 'laying' on the ground?

Is this too much effort to be worthwhile? It'll be a few more months before I might need to worry about it, but thought I'd ask now.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I guess if you got caught without adequate insulation it might be worth a shot. Good site selection, tarp, and insulation are a much easier option IMO.

I have pushed up leaves against the bottom edge of my tarp to help seal in some heat. It actually did a pretty good job of all but eliminating drafts (old SuperFly) and I stayed pretty comfortable one particular night when everyone else was shivering. I guess it probably would do pretty well as you described, just a PITA and messy.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I hang with a lot of sag so there is a definite low spot in my setup. I suppose if it was cold enough I'd curl up in a little ball in the very lowest part of my hammock so I might be able to stuff some insulation between me and the ground.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have used snow to seal under my tarp...worked well (of course, you need enough)
    I would be concerned with a suspension slip or stretch if I initially hung a few inches off the ground...get lower or you roll over and rub the ground can ruin a good hammock!
    typical organic material is usually moist (even 'dry" fall leaves have moisture in them). anything touching the hammock body will get it damp as the night goes on
    I with the Cannibal...I don't like to hope I can find sufficent insulation...I'll just bring my own
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    If the leaves were DRY, it should give you a pretty good boost in warmth. As long as it does not compress the loft of whatever quilt you are using, because then one would cancel the other.

But the challenge often would be finding dry leaves. But occasionally they are abundant, especially if the weather has been dry and it is early in the cold season. And don't use any Poison Ivy leaves!

Putting DRY leaves INSIDE a Pea Pod or Super Shelter can give huge boost to warmth. Using not so dry leaves in a garbage bag can also work out.

Give it a shot sometime and report back!

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Give it a shot sometime and report back!
    I read of people opting for the ground when it gets too cold and they have insufficient under insulation. I suppose that probably occurs sometime in the middle of the night when most wouldn't be in the mood to experiment with other options.

I tend to bring extra layers in the winter ... since I tend to be a cold sleeper, so I'm hoping I will never need to try.
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts