Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    My pack goes up onto the side of the tree with my rigger's belt/treehugger through the straps. I find it convenient because it's easy to pack and unpack at that height.

No bears here so I don't need to take any special precautions except maybe run some fishing line between two trees to hang up my food bag (surplus m3 medic bag - try it :-) ) when I'm in area with white-tailed rats. I had the side chewed out of a kifaru pack by a mob of white-tails a couple of years ago. I fell to my knees next morning and cursed the heavens.

Sometimes I'll just put the pack on the ground under me wrapped in a poncho.

I usually use a drybag as a pack liner so I don't care much about the rain soaking my pack... until the next morning.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    The reason all my gear is off the ground is mostly to keep critters out. That plus I figure that if I won't stay on the ground, why should my gear?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    you should see the wolf spiders at some of the places I camp at!! I do not want to reach inside a pack and have one of those inside. My pack is either closed up really tight if left on the ground, or hung at the end of my hammock, or inside hammock and under my feet. Depends on where I'm camping and weather conditions. I haven't tried it under my head, yet!!!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    If I don't expect rain, I'll lash a loop of webbing around a tree and hang my pack from it. Otherwise, it hangs under the tarp on my suspension. If for some reason I do have to leave it on the ground, I leave all the pockets unzipped, so the little furry critters don't chew holes in it to investigate the inside. I treat my pack with Permethrin, so I'm not too concerned about finding bugs or spiders in my pack.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    I had the side chewed out of a kifaru pack by a mob of white-tails a couple of years ago. I fell to my knees next morning and cursed the heavens. .
    I've priced those packs, I can understand why I have hung mine in a tree before. I wrapped it with my poncho, and strung it up about 10 ft or so in the air.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    I had the side chewed out of a kifaru pack by a mob of white-tails a couple of years ago. I fell to my knees next morning and cursed the heavens.

That is my biggest fear and as you pointed out, a valid one. Here it would be field mice, possums and armadillos. If a nuke went off nearby all that would be left would be my shadow frozen on the ground and my ZXR.

But sharp teeth.....the natural enemy of a Kifaru.....

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We were trailer camping a few weeks ago, and the raccoons broke into the outdoor refrigerator, and stole some food. And one of our group lost a sandal, found it a day later out in the woods. It had marshmallow stuck to the bottom, the 'coons chewed it in half.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Maybe Ive become an old backpacking fart... Im trying to figure some of your comments about having your pack in your hammock under your legs... Maybe its because I backpacked before everything became micro light, but my backpack would be uncomfortable with the straps and internal frame... Are you talking about placing your backpack in between layers of your double lined hammock?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Maybe Ive become an old backpacking fart... Im trying to figure some of your comments about having your pack in your hammock under your legs... Maybe its because I backpacked before everything became micro light, but my backpack would be uncomfortable with the straps and internal frame... Are you talking about placing your backpack in between layers of your double lined hammock?

My presumption is that most of the folks using their pack under there legs in the hammock are using frameless packs or packs that use a pice of CCF as a back pad - frame sheet. Doing it with a pack that has a traditional frame with stays would be uncomfortable for most anyone.

I personally use a Osprey Atmos pack and the frame would make it extremely uncomfortable as a leg pad. My pack is usually on the ground close by under the tarp or hung on a tree at the head of the hammock. In days gone by (tent life) if there was room it was usually tossed in the tent with the rest of the gear that was not needed during the evening or morning when not sleeping.

Paul

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I normally use a strap and the waist belt of my pack and hang off one of the trees I'm hanging from if I know it's not going to rain. If I know it is going to rain I just lay on the ground under the hammock and tarp.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast